[SOLVED] BIOS shows CPU temperature about 11C higher than Windows

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Hi,
My Ryzen 3500X on Asrock b550 board idles at around 42C as reported by the amd's ryzen master tool.
In fact latest bios update has cooled the cpu down.
While in Windows CPU is at 42C, when I go to BIOS it shows 53C and is constant around that value.
I asked amd support why so much of difference but they had no clear response.
To rule out any app error on Windows I tried core temp, hwinfo and ryzen master all tools report around 42 - 43C idle in Windows.

Can anyone comment as to why cpu temp in BIOS is about 11C higher than what windows tools report when in Windows?
Thanks and regards.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply. Fan curve is already set in BIOS. While BIOS happens before Windows, I am referring to a use case where system is running in Windows for some time at say 42C and then I just reboot to BIOS. Now BIOS shows 53C CPU temp.
During the reboot, the CPU cools down VERY quickly.
And then ramps up during the boot. And then Windows kicks in, and whatever cooler situation/fan curve in there kicks in.

Bottom line - The temp in the BIOS is not the same as what you see in Windows.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks for the reply. Fan curve is already set in BIOS. While BIOS happens before Windows, I am referring to a use case where system is running in Windows for some time at say 42C and then I just reboot to BIOS. Now BIOS shows 53C CPU temp.

USAFRet

Titan
During the reboot, the CPU cools down VERY quickly.
And then ramps up during the boot. And then Windows kicks in, and whatever cooler situation/fan curve in there kicks in.

Bottom line - The temp in the BIOS is not the same as what you see in Windows.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

sonofjesse

Distinguished
It's that time of the week kids, to quit checking temps and enjoy our computers. Yes you heard it hear first, as much as I enjoy seeing a negative 459.67 temp on builds as the next guy, at some point you just have to use them, and game on!!

Good luck!!

P.S

Please deposit the "virtual" dollar into our temp jar, we have a temp jar instead of a swear jar hahahha.