Question [SOLVED] BIOS shows incorrect CPU and RAM speed/voltage, freezes on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

z-rabbit

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
In the middle of an overhaul, and I'm hitting a serious wall here.

My mobo (Aorus z390 pro) shows my RAM set at a default DDR4-2133 MHz and 1.2V, but it's rated at DDR4-3000 and 1.35V. Also, my CPU hasn't been overclocked yet, but it shows on the summary screen as running at 4.6 Ghz (default is 3.6).

However, when I manually change the settings to their default values (via enabling XMP), BIOS faults out:
lx7ShZH.jpg

Here's a pic of the summary screen. (NOTE: only 1 stick of RAM was installed for this portion, as I was trying to troubleshoot)
v7sFlc1.jpg

Here's my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DRvkhy

Also worth mentioning is that I can't do anything after POST. Trying to run the windows install utility from USB or CD drive, it just starts to play the loading animation and freezes after about 5 seconds. But I'm working under the assumption that this is just a symptom of whatever this BIOS issue is.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

z-rabbit

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
The power supply is about 6 or 7 years old? But it's been rock solid, I highly doubt that's the issue.

I have tried a CMOS reset, to no avail.

However, I just now went to the Gigabyte website and checked on their latest BIOS updates. It turns out the F8 version is about 2 versions old. And the F9 version lists "Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors" (which is what I have)...sooooo, I guess I'll try flashing the BIOS first, once I get back home. I just assumed the BIOS would be ready to go, silly me.

I'll be sure to update with my findings.

z-rabbit

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
UPDATE: yup, just needed to update the BIOS, everything's been running buttery smooth since then. Also Conan, you were absolutely right, I didn't know about that little xmp thing affecting memory. It's now humming along at 3000 as advertised.

Thanks!

Reactions: ConanLock
Status
Not open for further replies.