[SOLVED] BIOS shows SSD is connected but it dont show up in windows

Solution
The issue was solved. I needed to initialize then format the drive. I did not know this.

This is done by going to Disk Management then going to the bottom section, scroll down to the new drive, right click on the partition, then initialize, then format.
I had the same problem with my second hard drive. I'm guessing that the storage isn't properly allocated or something along those lines.
https://windowsreport.com/second-hard-drive-not-detected-windows-10/
This guide helped me solve my problem, and in your case, instead of the second hard drive do it with your SSD.

the drive doesnt show up in disk management to be able to do the 1st solution. but it shows up in device manager and in bios (except in boot priority it will not let me prioritize the sequence because this drive doesnt show in the list)

SO I tried the 2nd solution of updating the driver, it said drivers up to date.

Also this is my 3rd drive, I have a 250gb 860 evo boot drive, 500gb HDD for storage and just got this 1tb 860 qvo that will not show up in windows but does in bios and device manager.

The issue was solved. I needed to initialize then format the drive. I did not know this.

This is done by going to Disk Management then going to the bottom section, scroll down to the new drive, right click on the partition, then initialize, then format.

Solution

EDMDude

Commendable
Dec 30, 2019

Confused, as I am having this same issue, but like me, you said that the drive showed in BIOS but not Disk Management. Then in your "Fixed" reply, you said all you had to do was scroll down in Disk Management and initalize and format. How did you finally get the drive to shoe in Disk Management? As that is the problem I am having. I can't initalize and format if not in Disk Management (but is in BIOS).

Thanks

Confused, as I am having this same issue, but like me, you said that the drive showed in BIOS but not Disk Management. Then in your "Fixed" reply, you said all you had to do was scroll down in Disk Management and initalize and format. How did you finally get the drive to shoe in Disk Management? As that is the problem I am having. I can't initalize and format if not in Disk Management (but is in BIOS).

Thanks

It shows as a unallocated drive in the bottom portion of the Disk Management window. Not in the top portion where it lists your current readable drives. So go to the bottom portion and scroll down and see if it shows it as a unallocated drive.

I also couldnt find it at 1st.

Reactions: EDMDude

EDMDude

Commendable
Dec 30, 2019
OK, thanks. I never saw anything at the bottom. Only way I was finally able to see my new m.2 nvme ssd was by going to Win10 -> Settings -> Storage ->Manage Storage Spaces -> Adding as a Storage Pool (which prompted me to give it a drive letter. Then I was able to go back to Disk Management and see the drive. Not sure if this is right way to do things, but it did allow me to then go into Disk Management and Format and now shows as Disk 2 (HHD with OS is Disk 1).

Edit: I decided to go back and remove the storage pool and see if the drive now would remain in Disk Management, it DID NOT. So back to same point. Shows in BIOS, shows in Device Manager, but not in Disk Management (not top, not bottom, nowhere).

I posted my own thread here with more details if anyone has suggestions:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...gement-is-in-bios-and-device-manager.3560306/

Last edited: