BIOS splash screen doesn't disappear upon startup

spvcxghxst

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
I started having a problem where one of my hard drives kept having an error. It wouldn't load programs or they kept crashing in the background so I swapped it for another. I reinstalled Windows 10 fully and I'm able to get on with no problems except the BIOS splash screen doesn't disappear when it's loading Windows. The screen will get stuck and the Windows 10 spinning circle will overlap it. I'm starting to think that it's a motherboard issue since I still see that Disk 1 failed due to a hardware error but I'm not getting lockups or crashes with any of my programs so far.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Killer (CPUSocket)
Graphics
ZOWIE XL LCD (1920x1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA)
111GB PNY CS1311 120GB SSD (SSD)
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Sound Blaster Audigy Fx

It's also worth mentioning that I ran chkdsk and S.M.A.R.T. and there were no errors found on disk D:, the one that gave me one error since I reformatted Windows 10

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Try unplugging the computer, removing the cmos battery and setting the cmos reset jumper for a minute. If it's still acting up, you can try to duplicate the errors with only a single stick of ram and a single drive, and onboard GPU if available. Try different sticks and dimms when testing ram. If the issue persists across all tests, it's the motherboard, or possibly the PSU, or least likely, the CPU.

spvcxghxst

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
I've only had 1 hardware error since I reformated. "The IO operation at logical block address 0x33bcc58 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000002a) failed due to a hardware error."

I'll try to see if removing the cmos battery will fix it. I did remove it last night and didn't really consider that to be a problem until you mentioned it.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
You could try changing the sata cable/sata port to see if that makes a difference, if you are only getting drive errors.

The cmos fix was more to reset the bios to it's initial state to remedy the logo splash screen. That might have been enabled when you reset the bios though and not caused by a corrupted bios.