Bios splash screen takes ages, can't enter setup

Voyagerone

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Hello,

my problem is pretty much in the title. My system boots up very slowly because it's stuck in the bios splash screen for several minutes. Afterwards windows itself boots up decently fast and once it's up, everything is running prefectly fine.

In addition, hitting the del or f12 key do not get me into bios/cmos setup. Instead it gives me a completely black screen (only thing on there is my first monitor saying "hdmi").

So far I disconnected drives, memory, USB cables and even monitors from the board one by one - no change.

I'm running out of ideas here, hope you can help.

UPDATE: The board is a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H.

Disable it in the bios. So you can see what its doing. Usually if it hangs its having probs reading the hdd.

The longer it takes the more chance the hdd is stuffed or something

Remove the cmos battery for a min then put it back in. See if it's any better

Are you pressing the right keys to get into the BIOS?

Voyagerone

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
I can't disable anything in the BIOS, because I can't get into the BIOS setup. As I said, hitting the del or f12 key (which are the correct ones according to the splash screen) only give me a black screen. In other words the system is responding to me hitting the key, just not the way it should.

Hard-resetting the CMOS is something I haven't done yet, but since it's fairly dangerous I'd like to try that only after all other options are exhausted.

The HDDs don't seem to be the issue, since disconnecting them didn't change anything in regard to the time the BIOS splash screen sits there.

Whats dangerous about it. Its not hard resetting just remove the battery it resets everything. Just reconfigure the bios settings after

Thats probably the only thing left. Since nothing else works

Whats the brand/model of the mobo?

It maybe a corrupt BIOS or something. If it's an ASUS mobo then it maybe easy to fix

Voyagerone

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
I'm calling it dangerous because I know of people who had issues getting the system to boot at all after a cmos reset.

The board is a gigabyte, see first post.

I've narrowed down the issue. Taking out the videocard gets rid of the problem (that's an Asus Strix GTX 980). Does that necessarily mean the card is bad or could it be some bios software issue, as in the card and board aren't working together?

UPDATE: Replacing the card with my old GTX 770 brings the problem back. Only using the onboard chip works without the endless delay in the bios splash screen.

Seems weird to me. My power adapter is a 750 watt corsair, so it shouldn't be the problem. Hardware issue with my boards PCIe slot? Bios not wanting to accept dedicated video cards? Any ideas?

Voyagerone

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
How could it be the video card when replacing it with my old one gives me the exact same problem? Had to be a giant coincidence if both cards randomly went bad for no reason and produced the exact same symptoms. :/

TRENDING THREADS