[SOLVED] BIOS takes several minutes to load

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Im not sure why but I get stuck on bios for ages, upwards of two minutes most of the time. I can live woth this problem but im worried about its implications.

Any idea what is causing it?

Im on an Asus ROG strix z270e, my OS is on an SSD. The problem persists regardless of what RAM I have in.

Solution
Mine is front mounted as in warmer climates it makes more sense to feed cool air to CPU from front than to have it on roof and suck up hot air from everything else. So It depends on what ambient is year round I guess. I am not an expert on AIO.

I watched 1st video and was a little concerned I got mine wrong but after watching 2nd I am now not concerned at all

if he uses fast start-up the PC is hardly off anyway, only when he gets windows updates once a month. Avoiding a 2 minute boot time would be only reason I suggest fast start-up on a system with an ssd

Colif

Win 11 Master
bios takes 2 minutes or windows?

if bios, whats installed on baord? try running with as little as possible as it must be some hardware that is slowing it down.
you might be able to set bios into verbose mode so it shows what its doing (if there is I can't see it in manual)

Last edited:

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
bios takes 2 minutes or windows?

if bios, whats installed on baord? try running with as little as possible as it must be some hardware that is slowing it down.
you might be able to set bios into verbose mode so it shows what its doing
It's BIOS, not windows.

I've already tried it with minimal hardware and it made no discernible difference.
I've not seen verbose mode in BIOS settings but there's loads of tabs so I might have missed it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't see it, i just looked in manual. Although it could be hiding in a menu choice

Have you looked at the debugging lights on the motherboard?
you have an led for
CPU - Red
RAM - Yellow
GPU - White
& Hard drive - Green

Light stays lit until the problem is fixed.

See which one its sticking on
See page 1-11 of motherboard manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...AMING/E12192_STRIX_Z270E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Last edited:

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015

Colif

Win 11 Master
4 lights.
red at bottom
yellow is above it
white above it
Green is top.

might help to take a photo to confirm it - upload to image sharing website and show link here

Closest there is red? CPU (I want to see photo as I don't like guessing)

Does it ever actually boot into windows? if so, you could run intel processor diagnostic tool - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

what are specs? rest of parts?

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
4 lights.
red at bottom
yellow is above it
white above it
Green is top.

might help to take a photo to confirm it - upload to image sharing website and show link here

Closest there is red? CPU (I want to see photo as I don't like guessing)

Does it ever actually boot into windows? if so, you could run intel processor diagnostic tool - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

what are specs? rest of parts?
Im assuming its red too, seen as the manual has no mention of orange.

Yes it does eventually boot into windows.

i7 7700k, RTX 2070, 16gb ddr4 RAM 3000mhz (two sticks), 1tb SSD, 2TB HDD, and another 220GB SSD (OS is on this one), Corsair CX 750M PSU.

Your symptoms sound like the motherboard is trying to find a ram setting that works.
If you have a red light, find the reason for it.

What is the ram you have?
Is it all from the same kit?
Mismatched ram can be a problem.

If your bios is not current, check to see if there are stability or compatibility updates in newer versions.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Your symptoms sound like the motherboard is trying to find a ram setting that works.
If you have a red light, find the reason for it.

What is the ram you have?
Is it all from the same kit?
Mismatched ram can be a problem.

If your bios is not current, check to see if there are stability or compatibility updates in newer versions.

The manual says red light is referring to CPU, I was just messing with RAM settings earlier to try fix it and changing settings didn't help, Its all from the same kit, and BIOS was the correct version a few months ago.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Have you ever removed the processor from the socket since all was well?
If so, possibly a socket pin was damaged.
But, I can't imagine why such damage might get resoleved in time.
I've not removed the CPU since I put it in, this problem did start after I cleaned my water cooling system though.

To add onto this, while on BIOS a green light is also visible. It goes away when the PC boots past BIOS however.

Last edited:
From above, a green light indicates a HDD issue.

If you have a hdd that does not operate properly, it may take the bios some time to wait for it to activate.
I see no connection with a cooler change though.

Try disconnecting all hdd devices except the ssd to see if that helps.

If you have a dvd drive with no dvd installed, and it is high in the boot order, the bios will wait to see if it comes on line before moving on.

The connection to cleaning your cooler is a clue.
Recheck all of your connections. Perhaps a fan had low voltage because of a loose connection and has trouble starting.

If you decide to live with the situation, avoid powering off.
Use sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead.
It will put your pc and monitor into a very low power state similar to a full power off.
Sleep/wake becomes only a handful of seconds.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
From above, a green light indicates a HDD issue.

If you have a hdd that does not operate properly, it may take the bios some time to wait for it to activate.
I see no connection with a cooler change though.

Try disconnecting all hdd devices except the ssd to see if that helps.

If you have a dvd drive with no dvd installed, and it is high in the boot order, the bios will wait to see if it comes on line before moving on.

The connection to cleaning your cooler is a clue.
Recheck all of your connections. Perhaps a fan had low voltage because of a loose connection and has trouble starting.

If you decide to live with the situation, avoid powering off.
Use sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead.
It will put your pc and monitor into a very low power state similar to a full power off.
Sleep/wake becomes only a handful of seconds.
Ok this is some useful stuff. I do have a 2TB HDD that I've had for years however unplugging it does not affect boot times. There is also a DVD drive which I could unplug and test.

The water cooler cable is being squished by the cooler itself and I cannot fix this without a new case, although I'm worried about buying a new case just to have the same issue.
That being said all the cables are properly connected.

What is the make/model of your case and liquid cooler?

You could take all parts out of the case and see how things go.
I can't imagine how the case could be involved.

A new case is always fun if you are not happy with the current case.

At the end of the day, is this a problem that you really NEED to fix?
With sleep, I boot perhaps once a month when Windows mandates an update and needs to reboot.

If you have had the cooler for a while, perhaps it is failing.
AIO coolers will eventually allow enough air into the system to prevent effective operation.
I recently viewed this video, it is sobering:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
What is the make/model of your case and liquid cooler?

You could take all parts out of the case and see how things go.
I can't imagine how the case could be involved.

A new case is always fun if you are not happy with the current case.

At the end of the day, is this a problem that you really NEED to fix?
With sleep, I boot perhaps once a month when Windows mandates an update and needs to reboot.

If you have had the cooler for a while, perhaps it is failing.
AIO coolers will eventually allow enough air into the system to prevent effective operation.
I recently viewed this video, it is sobering:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk
Its probably not worth the effort to be honest. Im not sure if it's affecting my performance outside of boot-times, some of my friends say it is, some say it isnt so Im not too bothered.
Either way only thing I cant do is run cyberpunk.

Jays correction of how some people understood GN video
@Colif:
A very good video.
Thanks for posting it, I learned something.
My new news is that the air will collect on just one side of the loop, namely the pump outlet side or the top part of a horizontal mount.
That is what makes any orientation work so long as the top of the pump is lower than the air collection point.

Then, of course, we have the catch 22 issue.
Do you mount the radiator to intake fresh outside air resulting in best cpu cooling at the expense of introducing warm air to the motherboard and gpu?
Or, do you orient to cool the radiator with warm case air at the expense of maximal cpu cooling?

Any way you look at it, liquid cooling is still air cooling. The difference is where the heat exchange takes place.

At the end of the day, bios post delay is still a mysterious question.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mine is front mounted as in warmer climates it makes more sense to feed cool air to CPU from front than to have it on roof and suck up hot air from everything else. So It depends on what ambient is year round I guess. I am not an expert on AIO.

I watched 1st video and was a little concerned I got mine wrong but after watching 2nd I am now not concerned at all

if he uses fast start-up the PC is hardly off anyway, only when he gets windows updates once a month. Avoiding a 2 minute boot time would be only reason I suggest fast start-up on a system with an ssd

Solution