Question Bios Temp

Oct 12, 2022
Hello guys.

First i want to sorry if im bothering you (might be stupid question). Im literally newbie at building PC.

I just builded my 1st pc. Inserted my old gpu (waiting for new gpu to arrive) to test CPU temps.
And it hits 58c in bios after 15 mins.
I compared with my 7 year old PC's CPU (in completely different setup) and that hits only 43c (even never reapplied thermal paste).

Ive got:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Cooler: be quiet Pure Rock 2 (comes with pre applied thermal paste)
Motherboard: Rog Strix B450-F Gaming II

• Windows not installed yet
  • Bios not updated
  • Cooler tighten

Should i concern?
Thank You for your answers.

A few things to note
  • Ryzen will report the hottest part of the processor. It's (usually) not the temperature of the entire processor.
  • No power saving features will be used while in the BIOS menu, so the processor will be warmer than in the OS on idle
  • The die arrangement on Ryzen 5000 is different than what you might expect. See the following image. You may have to make sure you're applying thermal paste correctly (or just go easy mode and spread it all around the IHS)
    AMD-Ryzen-5000-Zen-3-Desktop-CPU_Vermeer_Die-Shot_3-1030x687.jpg
Another sanity check I do if I suspect thermal issues is to press firmly on the cooler. If the temperature starts dropping, then something's up with it.

I recommend installing the OS anyway and using HWiNFO to look at the temps, as it will list all of the temperature sensors on the CPU.

Reactions: CountMike
Oct 12, 2022
A few things to note
  • Ryzen will report the hottest part of the processor. It's (usually) not the temperature of the entire processor.
  • No power saving features will be used while in the BIOS menu, so the processor will be warmer than in the OS on idle
  • The die arrangement on Ryzen 5000 is different than what you might expect. See the following image. You may have to make sure you're applying thermal paste correctly (or just go easy mode and spread it all around the IHS)
    AMD-Ryzen-5000-Zen-3-Desktop-CPU_Vermeer_Die-Shot_3-1030x687.jpg
Another sanity check I do if I suspect thermal issues is to press firmly on the cooler. If the temperature starts dropping, then something's up with it.

I recommend installing the OS anyway and using HWiNFO to look at the temps, as it will list all of the temperature sensors on the CPU.

Thanks for the answer.
I will install OS when i get GPU. Dont want to install OS twice.

So cpu temperature that high is expected in bios?