Bios unlock help

Naqibm

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Hey guys I currently have a dell computer and I went into the bios settings and come to find that most settings like overclocking aren't there, couldn't find a custom bios for my pc if you guys could help I would appreciate it
Dell Optiplex 990
Bios version: A19
Supports overclocking btw

Solution
That computer has a 95W CPU limit. It MIGHT be possible to OC if you can find an unlocked CPU that respects that limit using Throttlestop 8.00 software. G3258 comes to mind. It's a fast 2 core and Hyperthreading works fairly well also but it's the wrong socket.. Results will depend on whether or not TS can get control of voltage with the chipset on the CPU. It worked in LGA775 as you can see in my sig. i7 2600Pro 3.40 is fastest CPU listed by Dell. There might be some LGA 1150 Xeons out there. I would get Throttlestop (it's free) and see what settings you can get to work for you, then go from there. There were some unlocked Xeons but I think they were 6 cores. You're mostly on your own with this one though. I'm curious what OC settings that BIOS supports? Dell BIOS hasn't been cracked as far as I know.

BTW I hope you have the Mini Tower version. the ones smaller than that have a 35W PCIe slot power limit.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Completely false information the BIOS are locked so NO overclocking and that G3258 only has 2 cores nothing else the i3's have hyper threading.

Solution