Question bios unlocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
hi, i have an asus strix g15 with an i7 10750h and rtx 2060. due to the plundervolt vulnerability, intel has disabled undervolting for the 10th gen mobile chips. I have been searching for a fix and came across a youtube video which directed me to a bios mod forum. Other people were also dealing with the same problem and were dumping their bios's and reflashing a modded bios with unlocked advanced features which would allow them to undervolt.
Can someone tell me if im correct and if i should give it a try. and also explain it if i have got it wrong myself.
Thanks in advance

USAFRet

Titan
The 'plundervolt' was patched long ago.

Also:
"an attacker would need to be authenticated and would first need root access to an untrusted OS.

“In any case, note that attackers with physical access would also be in the threat model of SGX,” researchers said."

Have you thought about just improving the cooling solution? Adding thermal pads on key spots on the motherboard and replacing thermal paste to more quality one? Also laptop cooling pad can further lower temperatures.

If you still want to go down that road remember that if something goes wrong you might need to manually reprogram the bios chip (ch341a ) or let someone else do it (recommended for expensive laptops like this)

Better to learn how to do it yourself, that way you know exactly what is happening and no one else is tampering with your bios.

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
thanks for the help. but i recently applied new thermal paste and to be honest ive seen many people still dealing with throttling on this 10th gen chip. its just really HOT. i have a cooling pad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.