BIOS unsuccessful POST attempt: wont accept keyboard input

grac2

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Hi -
As the subject says, I am getting this message at start-up. The next line says type "Y" to go into the BIOS, or "N" to continue start-up. Neither Y or N does anything. There is a "force BIOS" button on back which when pressed (it lights and stays pressed) the system goes right into the BIOS. After a glimmer of hope, again, I can not navigate because it stopped taking keyboard input. I watched a few youtube videos on clearing/resetting the BIOS, tried it, still same issue.I even went and purchased a brand new keyboard thinking this one just died. Same issue.
Scenario is power-up, a split second I see the splash screen, then the Marvell BIOS message with my system disk visible (also says hit "Control-M to go into BIOS", doesn't accept it) then after dark screen, the "unsuccessful POST" message appears.

What led up to this is I purchased 2 new 1 TB drives, connected 1, and this all started. Since then have disconnected it.

Gear is as follows:
Core i7 960 3.20 GHz L2 8 MB QPI 4.8 GTs - 4 Cores with Hyperthreading
24 GB - 6 x 4 GB - Corsair Vengeance Triple Channel DDR3 - 1600 MHz
1 GB nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
120 GB Intel 510 Series SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive
CD-RW / DVD-RW Dual Layer LightScribe Drive
Keyboard Logitech USB K740
and the drives I want to add are Seagate 1TB SATA

Hopefully this info helps.

Solution
If somehow your usb ports got disabled, that could be the problem. You may need to reset the bios with the jumper. Used to be usb ports were disabled by default, so we kept a ps2 keyboard around just for this purpose. On boards of the last several years though, the usb ports are enabled by default, so a quick bios reset could fix your problem.

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Had the same problem once before turned out the PC was using a PS2 keyboard at home so the bios for some reason did not except my usb keyboard when i tried to work on it. Might be that. But I cant be sure sorry but as long as you drives recognized and your bios up to date every thing should be OK

grac2

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Thanks. This PC only has USB ports. I wish I could try a PS2. The only change here was shutting down, plugging in the SATA chord and power chord to new disk. It wasn't recognized so I powered back off to make sure I seeded the chords right and on restart I've been stuck at this message with no keyboard. When I booted with new disk, I went right to Linux login, ran fdisk (so keyboard was fine!), shut back down, and I've been jammed up ever since.

If somehow your usb ports got disabled, that could be the problem. You may need to reset the bios with the jumper. Used to be usb ports were disabled by default, so we kept a ps2 keyboard around just for this purpose. On boards of the last several years though, the usb ports are enabled by default, so a quick bios reset could fix your problem.

Solution

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Ah I don't know jack about linux so it could be something there and I assume that the SSD holds the OS sorry I have to ask be iv seen people disconnect there main drive the wonder why the PC wont work. Might be what jit said thats what happened to me I think.

grac2

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I like that as a possibility. There is a "BIOS" set of pins. There are 3 pins. The jumper is on the left and center pin. I took it off, placed on the right and center pin, then put back. Didn't do anything. I suspect I probably didn't reset anything. Is there more to it then moving the jumper?

No, just leave it for about 30 seconds, then move it back should do it. Make sure you are using the right set of pins

grac2

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I've been able to reproduce this. I did what you said, the system finally booted all the way to my Linux prompt. I logged in, type a few more things, and being satisfied all was back, I shutdown. At this point I went back to where I started. Added the new drive, and powered back up. This time when the BIOS was initializing, I saw my primary disk AND the new 1TB drive. The system booted all the way to the Linux login prompt, only this time, the USB ports must have become disabled again. I could not type login name. I brought it down and this time booted with the force BIOS button depressed, went into BIOS menu, still no keyboard.
What the heck!
Something with adding this disk is confusing the BIOS??

grac2

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
anyone else that can chime in here before I drop $$ to some local fixit shop that I dread doing? See me repro message - basically connecting new disk knocks out the USB connections and keyboard goes dead. I have to keep resetting the BIOS to get it back, but only without disk connected.
Thanks!