BIOS Update After Clean W7 Install

Msi_Junu

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Hello, I am thinking of doing a clean W7 install after about a years use of my self build pc. The pc is running smooth now but thought it would be a good idea hearing from a number of people. There are a couple of newer drivers for my MB and my graphics card driver hasn't been updated in the last few months. I have an ssd so the installation process of everything shouldn't take more then 40 min.

My real question is - If Should I update the bios should I do that first before any other updates to the MB (like chipset), windows updates, graphics, anti virus, etc? In other words is this the best, safest and practical way of doing the bios update first or do I update the MB (like chipset, lan, usb and audio) first or does it even matter?

I would appreciate all the help, advice and ideas.
I apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

McFee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
If there is nothing wrong with your bios now and everything is working fine I would leave it. I don't think you would gain anything from doing an update. usually there is also a description with the driver about the fixes they have done in a quick summary. if there is nothing major there I would leave it alone.

Msi_Junu

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
I was thinking of overclocking my cpu and thought if updating bios would yield a more stable procedure.... just a feeling I have.

I have an MSI Z87 - G45 Gaming MB with version 1.6
Latest version being 1.9

Version 1.6 Improvements --
- Improved RAID card compatibility.
- Improved VGA compatibility.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Improved USB compatibility.

Version 1.9 Improvements --
- Enhanced EIST function when use non turbo boost CPU.
- Improved USB device compatibility.
- Improved S3 function.
- Improved PS2 device compatibility when "MSI Fast Boot" is enabled.
- Improved compatibility.

Other then that there is no indication of bug fixes of sort. My bios does run stable but has this weird flicker on the mouse pointer... Anyway in case I do update bios is it fine or best to install it first.