Bios update AMI on A780GM-M3

ScottsDesk

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
I am updating my bios. I have not done it yet and wish to just have someone point me to a few things.
1. Should I reset my board back to default?
2. Can I use a live usb with windows 10 installation?
I run Linux so I created a USB that boots up to the install window. I can hit Shift F10 and it brings up a cmd window. I can start it up and seems fine. I am running the afuwinx64.exe and I have 2 updates.
3. Do I do the oldest one and then run the next one or just run the latest?
4. What are the correct settings?
I have many options.
Any help is appreciated. I am pretty tech savy. I just do not want to screw up my system, so I think its best to ask and test first before I hit save and flash.

Scott

I can't answer all your questions....but here are the answers to some.

1. "Should I reset my board back to default?"
After you install the BIOS it should be at the default values.

3. "Do I do the oldest one and then run the next one or just run the latest?"
Just the latest.

4. "What are the correct settings?"
The default setting will usually work. Usually what I do is let it start at the default settings and then change what I want (like boot order) and then just leave it be until I need to change something down the road.

As far as screwing up your system....don't power down or do anything like that when the BIOS is updating. This will screw up your system.

ScottsDesk

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Thanks for the fast reply. Very fast. I will take that into consideration.
I am most worried about the update flashing module than the flashing.
I am confident that I can do it. I just cannot find a Linux AMI bios update utility.
I am pretty tech savy, however one cannot know everything. Also AMIs bios system has a really confusing and loose way of organising the way to go about it.. The bios update utilities that came with the bios would not run.
Why not just have a freaking button on your bios and load a new one?
Control freaks these sadistically minded people are.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Why are you updating your BIOS in the first place?

There are instructions in the manual, which can be found here: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_DOWNLOAD.aspx?DetailID=943&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=24&LanID=0

You don't need to boot into Windows or Linux, you can create a bootable USB using something like Rufus (in which case I believe the USB boots into DOS). Extract the .zip you downloaded from your mobo support page onto the USB, boot into the USB, run AFUDOS.exe and select the .ROM file as the one to flash. You only need to flash the latest version of the BIOS, you don't need to step through each update.

ScottsDesk

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Well I am upgrading it because it is needed. I did successfully do it.I just followed what I was told to do with the fuwinx64. I tried to get it to work with the modules that were zipd up with it and got error's so I just used the 64 bit one. It worked fine. Noticed a huge difference in the way it runs. I also notice that the video is much better and clearer now.
I did not install Windows..
I use Linux whitch is why I was needing a bit of advice. Just to be on the safe side. What I did was I created a live install disk for Windows 10.
At the grub boot menu I hit e to edit the boot menu.
I made the USB the root by adding
set root=(/dev/sdx)/
set boot=(/dev/sdx)/
then hit F10 to boot out of that and start the installation process. So that made sure that I had read/write privileged access once in Windows 10 installation.
I then hit Repair instead of installation.
Then chose the option and got a cmd terminal.
I did the following.
x:/ diskspart
x:/ select disk 0
x:/ exit
x: afuwinx_64
To flash my BIOS.
Worked great. I got one popup THOUGH. It suggested I allow the afuwinx_64 to send the commands via cli mode instead of the way it sent the commands run. Which I understand and agreed to it... boots just fine and all is good.

TRENDING THREADS