Question BIOS update attempt, now black screen

KnurledNut

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I tried to update BIOS using MSI Center. During restart the monitor and keyboard/mouse have no power. The red CPU debug light is solid red. I have tried resetting the ram and clearing the CMOS. I don't know what else to do.

Main Board: PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
Video Card: AMD RX 6800
PSU brand and model: EVGA 850w
CPU: i5-12600KF
Memory: 8gbx2
SSD/ HDD: PNY CS3040 1TB SSD

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Reason for BIOS update was?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to". Or in other words: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS. And only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

Reactions: KnurledNut

KnurledNut

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Reason for BIOS update was?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to". Or in other words: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS. And only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

I should have clarified. I was having issues getting into BIOS to change some settings. There is a known issue with fast booting and DEL not allowing entry. Hence my reason for the update.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
There is a known issue with fast booting and DEL not allowing entry.

Your MoBo has PS/2 port, use PS/2 KB to enter BIOS. Since many USB KBs doesn't work when trying to access BIOS.

Now, i too have two builds with MSI MoBos (Skylake and Haswell, full specs with pics in my sig), and when i want to enter Skylake build BIOS, i have to put my Corsair Strafe RGB KB into Legacy mode. Else-ways, i can't get into BIOS. Or i have to use PS/2 KB, that i keep around solely for this reason. With Haswell build, KB doesn't have the Legacy mode and with it, i need to use PS/2 KB.

PS/2, despite being old tech, has extremely great feature, whereby any inputs through PS/2 device (KB or mouse), will interrupt CPU and whatever it was doing, forcing CPU to deal with PS/2 input. Due to that, there isn't any latency with PS/2 hardware.
With USB, there are packages sent to CPU, which have to wait in line (like cars in traffic jam), before they are addressed by CPU.

As far as your issue goes, look towards MoBo RMA.

Reactions: KnurledNut

KnurledNut

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Your MoBo has PS/2 port, use PS/2 KB to enter BIOS. Since many USB KBs doesn't work when trying to access BIOS.

Now, i too have two builds with MSI MoBos (Skylake and Haswell, full specs with pics in my sig), and when i want to enter Skylake build BIOS, i have to put my Corsair Strafe RGB KB into Legacy mode. Else-ways, i can't get into BIOS. Or i have to use PS/2 KB, that i keep around solely for this reason. With Haswell build, KB doesn't have the Legacy mode and with it, i need to use PS/2 KB.

PS/2, despite being old tech, has extremely great feature, whereby any inputs through PS/2 device (KB or mouse), will interrupt CPU and whatever it was doing, forcing CPU to deal with PS/2 input. Due to that, there isn't any latency with PS/2 hardware.
With USB, there are packages sent to CPU, which have to wait in line (like cars in traffic jam), before they are addressed by CPU.

As far as your issue goes, look towards MoBo RMA.

Thanks, you've been most helpful. What an expensive damn day!

Reactions: Aeacus