Question BIOS Update causes system to no longer post with XMP enabled.

VirusVox

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
Hello all!

Earlier today I experience a BSOD and was able to track issues back to my Graphics driver. I DDU'd the driver and reinstalled a fresh copy of the latest, but found my performance significantly worse than before. Running through troubleshooting steps a BIOS update stood out to me as I hadn't done one to this point, and the system is about a year old.

After performing the BIOS update, the system no longer POSTs if I enable the XMP profile for my RAM. It hangs on two red LEDs for 'CPU' and 'DRAM' for the most part. If I leave the CMOS battery out of the system and remove the power cable I can power on and use the system just fine with the RAM running at its base speed of 2133MHz.

My system specs are:

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 (Updated to BIOS Rev 4.20)
Ryzen 7 3800X
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
32GB TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600MHz (two identical 16GB kits)
1TB Crucial P1, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

To be honest with you, that problem will be something asrock has to look at very closely and see if they can offer you a new bios to correct the errors with xmp.

ASRock America, Inc.
13848 Magnolia Ave, Chino, CA91710
U.S.A.
Phone: +1-909-590-8308
Fax: +1-909-590-1026
e-mail: sales@asrockamerica.com

Also this might help you but with your trident 2 stick memory, it'll be playing musical chairs until the mobo wants to act right.
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14312&title=unable-to-use-xmp-phantom-gaming-4-3600-mhz

VirusVox

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
After doing some testing I've figured out with a manually set voltage of 1.350V (the setting used by the XMP profile) and a manual overclock of 3200MHz the system will POST fine and take the overclock. But if I try to step the system up to 3600MHz it stops POSTing.

I tried each stick individually at 3600MHz last night using XMP and no single stick would post.

Edit: After dialing in all of the RAM settings including timings and the infinity fabric settings for 3200MHz I jumped into Grand Theft Auto V and the game is basically running like a slideshow, so this setting, while allowing the system to post and perform normal tasks, does not perform in the slightest for gaming. I am wondering if perhaps an underlying RAM issue was exacerbated by the BIOS update?

Last edited: