Question Bios update completly killed old laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2019
Preface:
I had an old HP dv6500 (amd) laptop laying around. It came with Vista but was updated to Windows 7. I wanted to play around with some Linux on it to learn, so I made a bootable drive to install a distro.
The USB would not boot (later it turned out to be a faulty USB drive), so I decided to see if I could find a BIOS update.
HP has removed the support site for this model, so a after long time searching I found the right bios update on HP’s FTP server.

The Disaster:
I ran the update from Windows 7 (I know now, that was a rookie mistake). The update progressed normally, erasing and reprogramming one block at a time. But then as the last block was erased and reprogram the computer turns off, out of the blue.
No windows shutdown, just a click and it was completely off. As if I cut power.
Only the charger light was still on. After 10 seconds I tried to press the power button and nothing happens. No beeps, no fans spinning, nothing. Completely dead!

Repair attempts so far:
Here are the other things i have tried, non of them as worked or changed the pc condition-
  • I have disconnected the CMOS battery hoping for some sort of reset.
  • I have measured the voltage of the power source and it’s working fine.
  • I have tried to boot without hdd, 1 ram stick, 0 ram sticks
Diagnosis:
I want to take this as a learning experience and try to fix it, but I don’t want to waste too much time going down wrong paths.
Right now by best guess is that the BIOS is faulty.

Can these symptoms be a faulty BIOS?
Charge light on, but not turning on at all with no beep or fan spin.

If it is a BIOS problem, I was thinking to attempt to re-program it with an Arduino or a RaspberryPi. Or replace it if it’s fried.
I have not tried something like this before, but since the pc is old it might be fun to try, even if i break it.

Any help or input is appreciated.
– Deltini

Dec 2, 2020
I actually seen broken fan cause this once loong ago, but usually that just gives error message when you boot up. Most with blink 1-2 codes where just bad gpu, but intel hd graphics failing is REALLY rare. Also few laptops it was bios corruption with 1 blink code.
If above steps dont work and your CERTAIN its 1 blink code, a full on disassembly is needed to further diagnose. You need screwdriver and something plastic to help disconnect the small connectors (usually with fingers works but not always)
I'm not getting any fan on attempted startup just the single blink which seems like a bios issue based on reading but I thought replacing cmos battery would reset this.

I'm not getting any fan on attempted startup just the single blink which seems like a bios issue based on reading but I thought replacing cmos battery would reset this.

Clearing cmos has nothing to do with corrupt bios chip. It can sometimes be flashed via usb method, just follow the video i posted. You can test the ram method first or after that (this was just a guess, your ram slots and ram are most likely fine), just make sure all ram sticks are connected and power cable / main battery on when you try Reprogramming bios.

Nothing here costs, you just need extra usb stick for this one.