[SOLVED] BIOS update doesnt support Win 10

Solution
Your chipset H61 should support a i7-7700.

Some possibilities:

a) When you install a processor, it is easy to damage the motherboard socket pins.
This can happen if you did not drop the cpu in cleanly. Of you smoosh the chi around to seat it, you can bend a pin. Take the processor out and look closely at the pins. If you see one bent out of place, use a needle to get it back in place.

b) You may need a more current bios to support the processor.
To update the bios, you would need to reinstall the original processor.
With the old processor installed, look at the bios level.
Compare that to the current bios available as well as the description of what the updates do.
Do not flash the bios on just speculation. It is a risky...
Hi,so i got this i7-3770 to replace my i3-3240 on my lenovo ih61m motherboard.Everything went fine,i replaced the cpu and i pressed the power button and the pc turns on.My cpu cooler and gpu work,but i have a black screen on my monitor and my mouse and keyboard dont work.Interesting thing is that my headphones light up and they are connected via USB.I have switched my ram positions,tried 1 stick of ram,cleared CMOS,what to do next?

I got this cpu used about 2 hours ago,and im sure it works because the pc powers on and the cpu cooler spins,i just dont know what could be the issue.

Specs:
Lenovo ih61m
i7 3770
R9 380 4gb
2x8gb 1333mhz
Chieftec elp-700s 700W

Thanks in advance

Are you sure the i7-3770 is supported by the motherboard BIOS version ?

Did you reset the BIOS after installing the i7-3770 ? Usually there are a couple of pins somewhere that you need to short out with a screw driver tip...also removing the small dime battery from the board for 30 seconds should reset the BIOS to defaults.

You will likely have to go back into the BIOS and configure your boot drive options and memory speed.

You may want to re-install the old chip and enter the BIOS so you can make sure you know how to select the different options before resetting the BIOS.

Reactions: RodroX
Are you sure the i7-3770 is supported by the motherboard BIOS version ?
I dont know,how can i check that.Also every bios update doesnt support windows 10,so what do i do (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds029433 )
Did you reset the BIOS after installing the i7-3770 ? Usually there are a couple of pins somewhere that you need to short out with a screw driver tip...also removing the small dime battery from the board for 30 seconds should reset the BIOS to defaults.
I have cleared CMOS if u mean that.
You will likely have to go back into the BIOS and configure your boot drive options and memory speed.
How do i do that.I know how to get into the bios,but to set my RAM speed to what frequency?
Also i only have 1 1tb HDD.
You may want to re-install the old chip and enter the BIOS so you can make sure you know how to select the different options before resetting the BIOS.
I am currently using my i3 3240

Last edited:
Well first off all my motherboard (IH61M from lenovo) can come with these cpus:https://support.lenovo.com/rs/en/solutions/pd024645
Plus i currently have a third gen ivy brigde cpu so i quess it will work right out of the box with a third gen ivy bridge cpu im upgrading to which is i7 3770.It should arrive tomorrow,wish me luck :)
ok,so its the next day and i received my cpu.And it boots,but i have no signal on te monitor and my keyboard and mouse arent working.I think the problem may be that i need a bios version,but again im scared to update it on windows 10,because the update only support up windows 8.1 i think.I tried every signle trouble shooting step and every components works,so i think its a bios update
What should i do?

hi,i have lenovo ih61m motherboard,and i had today reaplced my i3 3240 with i7 3770 and the pc works,but there is no signal on the monitor and mouse and keyboard do not work.Since i have tried every possible hardware troubleshooting (switching ram slots,clearing cmos,removing gpu,etc)i can do it turns out every component works.So my quess is that it needs a BIOS update.Here is where the problem comes,the bios update only supports up to win 8.1,and i have windows 10 pro 64 bit.Can i still update the bios,or should i just buy a i7 3770 ready motherboard?
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds029433 <-BIOS update

It shouldn't be a BIOS update.
same generation.
My guess is that the board is not compatible with such a high end chip since it wasn't made for it.
Could be that or the board died while swapping.

Try 1 ram slot instead of 2 maybe.

(Also i see your friend decided to go with the 3770... poor choice.)

Reactions: Dj0gany

Some possibilities:

a) When you install a processor, it is easy to damage the motherboard socket pins.
This can happen if you did not drop the cpu in cleanly. Of you smoosh the chi around to seat it, you can bend a pin. Take the processor out and look closely at the pins. If you see one bent out of place, use a needle to get it back in place.

Compare that to the current bios available as well as the description of what the updates do.
Do not flash the bios on just speculation. It is a risky business if the flash should fail.
Do so only if you thing the update addresses your issue.

c) A used processor can be defective.

e) Your power supply is a very poor quality unit that I would not trust.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution
Also,lenovo used to make thinkcentre edge72 pc's which i had,and they come with these cpus,and apparently the mobo is the same:https://support.lenovo.com/rs/en/solutions/pd024645
Judging by the thread posted some time ago,people said it would work without a bios update or anything,and clearly it doesnt.
Im starting to think that i would have way less problems with a motherboard from a gaming company (gigabyte,asus,msi,etc..),since i can update the bios if needed to windows 10 and it just isnt some old crappy OEM motherboard.
If u can,can you suggest me a good motherboard with these specs:
-I would prefer 4 DIMM slots (32gb max capacity)
-USB 3.0 header
-out of the box support for i7 3770
-doesnt need to be a Z chipset since it would be a waste of money in my situation
-would prefer ATX,but i would mind other form-factors

It shouldn't be a BIOS update.
same generation.
My guess is that the board is not compatible with such a high end chip since it wasn't made for it.
Could be that or the board died while swapping.

Try 1 ram slot instead of 2 maybe.

(Also i see your friend decided to go with the 3770... poor choice.)
im currently using my i3 3240,so i quess it didnt die,tried every possible combination with RAM,none of them work.
Thanks for the suggestions

Some possibilities:

Do not flash the bios on just speculation. It is a risky business if the flash should fail.
Do so only if you thing the update addresses your issue.

c) A used processor can be defective.

e) Your power supply is a very poor quality unit that I would not trust.
ok thanks for the help.Look at my post,and see if the bent pin is bad (i suppose it is not since im running my i3 3240 currenlty,after that picture was taken).Here are the bios updates for my board,so you tell me if its worthy upgrading (also idk how im going to do a bios update if need,since win 10 isnt supported in those updates).I think the CPU is not defective since the pc powers on,just no signal,and mouse&keyboard dont work,but who knows.For the PSU i know its bad,but its all i have for now
Thanks again for the help