[SOLVED] BIOS Update F31 to F50d - Gigabyte AB350m Gaming-3

Jan 16, 2021
Hi! I'm having constant BSOD, Reboots, CTD on games and freezing.
I've tried everything from updating drivers, hardware cleanup, sfc /scannow, chkdsk, ssd firmware, manual ram OC, XMP on/off, ETC.
I read online sometimes a WHEA error (one of my many events) could be fixed if you update your motherboard, which I have updated 3 months ago or so..

Im currently on F31 Version and the most recent is F50d, the confusing part is that F40 says you need to do the infamous EC FW Update tool to prevent errors with 4 stick on 3rd gen Ryzen. So I was wondering if updating F40 before F50d is a MUST or if I could just skip F40.. F31 is the "minimum" version for newer updates.

https://pasteboard.co/K50uh2u.png

My PC:
Ryzen 2600
2x8 Corsair 3200mhz
Gtx 1070

Solution
you need F40 before any others, it updates how the bios updates

The FW update is only if you ever intend to run 4 sticks in a newer CPU, If you don't you can skip it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA can be fixed with BIOS updates, it is true

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
sometimes its also caused by overclocking software, so programs like MSI Afterburner, AMD Ryzen Master
sometimes device drivers are to blame
Do you have a WIFI adapter? seen those cause errors this year.
WHEA can be any hardware

what are full specs of PC?
just in case bios update doesn't help

it says to update these at same time as bios = https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b350

I have an Aorus X570, all Gigabyte bios seem to have that F40 step, or at least ones made before last year.

Jan 16, 2021
you need F40 before any others, it updates how the bios updates

The FW update is only if you ever intend to run 4 sticks in a newer CPU, If you don't you can skip it.

My Motherboard has 2 ram slots, so I should update to F40 without EC and F50d? Got it!
Why won't they specify this?.

Thank you for the info!

Jan 16, 2021
WHEA can be fixed with BIOS updates, it is true

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
sometimes its also caused by overclocking software, so programs like MSI Afterburner, AMD Ryzen Master
sometimes device drivers are to blame
Do you have a WIFI adapter? seen those cause errors this year.
WHEA can be any hardware

what are full specs of PC?
just in case bios update doesn't help

it says to update these at same time as bios = https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b350

I have an Aorus X570, all Gigabyte bios seem to have that F40 step, or at least ones made before last year.

Thank you for your time!

Ok, so I've been having too many BSOD, all kinds too. Most of them were Driver issues and because I've had almost 3 new Nvidia drivers this month I tried a DDU on the latest (today) drivers.
Also, one BSOD I googled it and said it could be the WIFI adapter, so that was suspicious. Lots of kernel errors too.

But now the WHEA error appear, and rebooted my PC 2 times today. Valorant is giving me lots of BSOD, single player games CTD.

The only thing I'm overclocking is my ram, turns out my XMP stopped working a month ago, I don't know why, so I manually overclock it and also updated to F31. Since I'm having this problem now I tried to turn XMP on again and also using ram at stock, but even with everything off my ram is running at 3200mhz which is weird because it shouldn't.

I do have MSI afterburner and Ryzen Master but I never use them. I also have a WIFI adapter which I reseted because of my BSOD pointing at my adapter.

My Chipsets on latest version because that was a requirement for installing F31, gonna check if there is a new one.

Also I've tried to check the Minidump created by the WHEA error, but I don't know how to use Windbg. I can also upload that.

My Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 2600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8gb 3200mhz
GPU: MSI Gtx 1070 Gaming X 8gb
SSD: Kingston A400 120gb
HDD: WD 2TB Red
HDD: WD 500gb
Wifi Adapter TL-WN781ND (qualcomm atheros)

Things I've tried:
DDU, and drivers up to date ( I did a roll back before this to try a previous driver)
Reinstalling games that crash
Update SSD Firmware and power cycling it
Sfc /scannow - Chkdsk - Dism /restorehealth
Change XMP on/off and manual
Cleaning my hardware
Resetting Wifi Adapter
Changing Energy plan (currently on Ryzen balanced)
Ccleaner - Malwarebytes - lots of cleaning tools.

Im gonna do the windows Mini-dump and upload it!

Thank you very much

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried using ethernet and leaving the WIFI adapter out and see if you still crash?

if its an old adapter (based on search its only N, its 2 generations behind) it is probably time for a new one. Get one marked one of the below as they mean the same thing, latest WIFI spec.:
  • WIFI6
  • AX
  • AC2100

Will cost more but you won't need to buy another one for a few years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can't read them either BUT I will send the link to a friend who will reply with a link I can use to see what conversion shows.
WHEA error reports are often the same, they rarely point at a driver but the dumps include a list of the drivers active and I might see something.

He should be asleep as its about 4am where he is, but he will reply later.
In the mean time, you could Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

as WHEA can be anything so might as well check while we wait.

BIOS update might also fix it so could wait till you get another BSOD as well.

Jan 16, 2021
Have you tried using ethernet and leaving the WIFI adapter out and see if you still crash?

if its an old adapter (based on search its only N, its 2 generations behind) it is probably time for a new one. Get one marked one of the below as they mean the same thing, latest WIFI spec.:
  • WIFI6
  • AX
  • AC2100
Will cost more but you won't need to buy another one for a few years.

I'm desperate for Ethernet, my router is in another room so I need at least 20mts of Ethernet cable.. So yes, I've been kind of a slacker. Also I'm from Argentina, so most of the internet providers are a joke, so Ethernet is a must.

I will check those adapters up anyway. Thanks for the info.

Jan 16, 2021
i can't read them either BUT I will send the link to a friend who will reply with a link I can use to see what conversion shows.
WHEA error reports are often the same, they rarely point at a driver but the dumps include a list of the drivers active and I might see something.

He should be asleep as its about 4am where he is, but he will reply later.
In the mean time, you could Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

as WHEA can be anything so might as well check while we wait.

BIOS update might also fix it so could wait till you get another BSOD as well.

The windgb pointed the same as the Event Viewer "win32kbase.sys" but that's all I can read haha.

Also I remember some of the BSOD and Event Viewer Criticals. Don't Know if it helps:
Win32kbase.sys
Kernel Power Reboot ID41
Kmode Exception Not Handled
Kernelbase.dll
Nvwgf2umx_cfg.dll
Tcpip.sys
Irql not less or equal

I will create a USB with memtest and try both sticks. But I can do it maybe later today, I have to attend some online meetings today. ( if I recall correctly memtest can last for hours right?)

Thank you again for your time, I will post the results of memtest when I have them..
Have a great day!

Colif

Win 11 Master
win32kbase.sys
is part of the windows kernel, it is showing you what crashed. That doesn't explain why it crashed. Often its the victim, especially when its part of windows

Tcpip.sys
Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol - is used by windows to talk to lan/WIFI drivers, you don't have any internet without it. So your wifi adapter caused that one.

Kernel power 41 (63) is a reaction to an unexpected restart, totally to be expected after a BSOD.

I guessed this was Nvidia based on first 2 intials - Nvwgf2umx_cfg.dll - but not sure if its victim or cause. I don't know what its function is.
i can see it seems to tie into CTD in games. (CTD - Crash to Desktop), may not mean it is here.

its not often for a dll error to cause a BSOD. Its normally sys files. So I await the conversion and see what it tells me.

run memtest when you can, its not as important as life. So I will be around somewhere anyway

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/ar21x4db/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:060321-21687-01.dmp (Jun 3 2021 - 22:49:14)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File information:WHEA-20210604-0213.dmp (Jun 4 2021 - 01:13:17)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: smss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Motherboard: AB350M-Gaming 3-CF

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Now crash on 3rd was either GPU drivers or maybe Afterburner since its on pc
dwm.exe = windows desktop manager, it sits between applications and GPU drivers.

i assume you have 466.63 installed, they show as 3rd June 2021 for me, close enough. try reinstalling Nvidia drivers and see if it helps - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

try removing or updating afterburner
Jul 09 2017NTIOLib_X64.sys!!! Overclocking Software - NTIO Library http://www.msi.com/

WHEA as usual doesn't tell me anything

I doubt this related but these too old to be a win 10 program
Jul 12 2011SASKUTIL64.SYSSUPERAntiSpyware driver http://www.superantispyware.com/
Jul 21 2011SASDIFSV64.SYSSUPERAntiSpyware driver http://www.superantispyware.com/

smss.exe is an odd victim. Its the client for user services, essentially its the space your user runs in. Makes it hard to isolate a cause from just the victims name. Some like the 1st crash you can.

Jan 16, 2021
Now crash on 3rd was either GPU drivers or maybe Afterburner since its on pc
dwm.exe = windows desktop manager, it sits between applications and GPU drivers.

i assume you have 466.63 installed, they show as 3rd June 2021 for me, close enough. try reinstalling Nvidia drivers and see if it helps - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

try removing or updating afterburner
Jul 09 2017NTIOLib_X64.sys!!! Overclocking Software - NTIO Library http://www.msi.com/

WHEA as usual doesn't tell me anything

I doubt this related but these too old to be a win 10 program
Jul 12 2011SASKUTIL64.SYSSUPERAntiSpyware driver http://www.superantispyware.com/
Jul 21 2011SASDIFSV64.SYSSUPERAntiSpyware driver http://www.superantispyware.com/

smss.exe is an odd victim. Its the client for user services, essentially its the space your user runs in. Makes it hard to isolate a cause from just the victims name. Some like the 1st crash you can.

Ok, so I uninstalled Aferburner, Supera, and some random programs of MSI such as Mystic light. I recently did a DDU on the new drivers. So far I haven't had any BSOD, altough I didn't use any games or intensive programs yet, if I have any BSOD I will report the minidump. Also gonna do the memtest later tonight.

Being redundant here but thanks a lot for the help and the extra info you are giving me Colif, also thank you gardenman for the dump reading.

Reactions: gardenman

TRENDING THREADS