Question BIOS update failed, what do i do now ?

Mar 29, 2024
So I tried to do a bios update... yea I feel like you know where this is going. Got the update from the website and downloaded it onto a 2gb usb. Made sure it was the .rom file. Booted into the bios and selected intant flash. The USB and its file was recognized and I started the download. Download complete and it gave me the message to "press enter to reboot", or something along those lines and so it did. It sat on a black screen for about 10 minutes. My rgb lights on my cooler and ram where on with fans spinning. I didn't know what else to do but a hard reset.

Now all I get when I try and boot is the lights on my cooler and ram sticks are on, fans spin, black screen, no power to my mouse or keyboard, and the dram red lights on my motherboard is on. If I leave it running for a minute or so it tries to reboot with same response. I have tried removing cmos battery multiple times now with no change. I have tried booting with 2 ram stickers instead of 4. I don't think my asrock mobo has a backup bios. Anything else you can think of that I should try or is my mobo bricked?

My specs:
asrock b760 pro rs,
rtx 4070 12gb,
intel i7 14700k,
64gb Ram 6400 speed,
EVGA 800 watt psu,
corsair icue ih150 360mm cooler

So I tried to do a bios update... yea I feel like you know where this is going. Got the update from the website and downloaded it onto a 2gb usb. Made sure it was the .rom file. Booted into the bios and selected intant flash. The USB and its file was recognized and I started the download. Download complete and it gave me the message to "press enter to reboot", or something along those lines and so it did. It sat on a black screen for about 10 minutes. My rgb lights on my cooler and ram where on with fans spinning. I didn't know what else to do but a hard reset. Now all I get when I try and boot is the lights on my cooler and ram sticks are on, fans spin, black screen, no power to my mouse or keyboard, and the dram red lights on my motherboard is on. If I leave it running for a minute or so it tries to reboot with same response. I have tried removing cmos battery multiple times now with no change. I have tried booting with 2 ram stickers instead of 4. I don't think my asrock mobo has a backup bios. Anything else you can think of that I should try or is my mobo bricked? My specs: asrock b760 pro rs, rtx 4070 12gb, intel i7 14700k, 64gb Ram 6400 speed, EVGA 800 watt psu, corsair icue ih150 360mm cooler
After BIOS flash it takes a while to go thru POST and memory training, you probably reset it too soon. See if you can get original/first BIOS version, place it in a USB formatted to Fat32 and plugged in a USB2 port. Force restart at least 3 times and if BIOS is not fully bricked, it should flash properly. Try all of that without GPU plugged in.Monitor in MB graphic port. If no go, take it to PC service, any proper one should have apparatus for flashing BIOS directly on the MB.

Reactions: ExpJumper
Mar 29, 2024
After BIOS flash it takes a while to go thru POST and memory training, you probably reset it too soon. See if you can get original/first BIOS version, place it in a USB formatted to Fat32 and plugged in a USB2 port. Force restart at least 3 times and if BIOS is not fully bricked, it should flash properly. Try all of that without GPU plugged in.Monitor in MB graphic port. If no go, take it to PC service, any proper one should have apparatus for flashing BIOS directly on the MB.
Thank you for the response. downloaded the original release of my bios from '22, put in 2gb usb that was formatted for fat32, and installed usb to usb port on back of broker pc. The only change was on the 4th boot, my dram LED didn't stay on. Everything else was the same. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the motherboard is reading the USB stick because if I plug in a keyboard, it doesnt recieve power. Anything else to try or is it time for the repair shop? thanks again for the response

You would need at least the 6.12 BIOS version (CPU support).

There is a CMOS reset jumper below the bottom PCIe slot you could try, but generally you should be good doing it with the battery as you did.

Other than that I can't really think of anything else for you to do and the manuals for the mobo are worthless.