ser7ach

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have two ASUS GTX480s and wondering if it is any good to flash their BIOS?

Is it risky like all other BIOS updates? Should I do it my own?

Will it improve performance, stability etc. or will it help them not build up too much heat?(EVGA ones do that I think)

Can you flash this cards BIOS with some other manufacturer's BIOS(like EVGA)? Is it recommended, or will it void the warranty? In fact, some say flashing the BIOS with the manufacturers own BIOS will void the warranty, is that true?

More importantly, I've searched for ASUS GTX480 BIOS and only found three files in techpowerup.com and these are all same versions(70.00.1A.00.02). I wonder if this site is dependable or are there newer BIOS versions for ASUS GTX480?(or again can/should we use a newer one from some other manufacturer)

Lastly, is there a case where you solve issues(lock-ups, restarts etc.) of a graphics card with re-flashing the BIOS with the same version. Because, I brought one of those ASUS GTX480s to the service for inspection(the card might have been ok, I just wanted to make sure), they said they applied many tests and found no issues but flashed the BIOS anyway. I wonder if they are fooling me :) Because there seems to be a single BIOS version for that card(please correct me if I'm wrong) and why would you flash the firmware with the version that the card already has?

ser7ach

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
In fact, I doubt BIOS flash for GPUs is necessary as well.

Still, I want to make sure that there is only one BIOS version for my graphics card. From it's own manufacturer, ASUS, I mean.

Is techpowerup.com trustworthy, or are there better BIOS archives to search?

Also, do you have any comments about the case that fixing the card by flashing it's BIOS with the same version?

TRENDING THREADS