Question BIOS update killed my GPU's DVI port!

jrglol

Reputable
Jun 27, 2017
I just built a new system and wanted to update the bios. I've done this many times, and had none failed, until now, sorta. Once I updated the bios. The system rebooted and I ran the bios setup again. Until I realised that everything was blurry, pixelated. I attempted to boot into my OSs, but no success. Nor Linux, or Windows would boot. I could still get to the grub, but when I select the boot option, that's it. Black screen. It took me 2 days to troubleshoot it. I tried the HDMI port, the PC boots just fine. Everything was normal, no pixelated bios. Boots straight into the OSs. The DVI cable I used is still fine. Also my monitor. So, I came to a conclusion that my DVI port on my graphics card shorted out by a bios update!

The reason why I used DVI is because my monitor only has VGA and a DVI port. After I troubleshooted my PC. I was initially going to buy a converter, but I saw a DVI to HDMI cable from Ugreen for 10 AUD. So my question is, how did a freaking BIOS update almost killed my graphics card?!!

My full PC specs :
Intel Core i5-9400F
ASUS ROG STRIX B365-G
2x Kingston HyperX 8GB 2666MHz
Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme
Thermaltake Smart M 650W Bronze
Stock Intel cooler (for now)

Well first of all there is essentially zero change that the BIOS update did anything to mess with your GPU. what is more likely is that you need to update your drivers again as that can be necessary after a BIOS update.

This may seem ridiculous and in all honestly it is highly probable your GPU came with a bad DVI port and it just happened to fail right there.

jrglol

Reputable
Jun 27, 2017
Well first of all there is essentially zero change that the BIOS update did anything to mess with your GPU. what is more likely is that you need to update your drivers again as that can be necessary after a BIOS update.

This may seem ridiculous and in all honestly it is highly probable your GPU came with a bad DVI port and it just happened to fail right there.
I had the gpu for almost a year, and have been using DVI until now. It just happened after I updated the bios. :/

Last edited: