[SOLVED] Bios update on b450 tomahawk

Mar 4, 2019
Hi, I just built a pc with the b450 tomahawk and was wandering what the best way to update the bios is?
Should I use that flash bios button or just do it in the bios?

Solution
My Rule of thumb on BIOS updates is that you should ONLY flash an updated BIOS if it has improvements/features that your current BIOS doesn't have that will benefit your setup.
In other words if your PC runs well with the current BIOS you don't need to update the BIOS.

In my current case I am running a BIOS version that is 4 versions old because the newer versions don't add anything that will improve my current setup.
The newer version for my MB are all for compatibility with the new AMD Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs and I have a Ryzen 2000 series CPU.
So until I upgrade my CPU updating the BIOS would actually make my PC run worse than it does now.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
My Rule of thumb on BIOS updates is that you should ONLY flash an updated BIOS if it has improvements/features that your current BIOS doesn't have that will benefit your setup.
In other words if your PC runs well with the current BIOS you don't need to update the BIOS.

In my current case I am running a BIOS version that is 4 versions old because the newer versions don't add anything that will improve my current setup.
The newer version for my MB are all for compatibility with the new AMD Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs and I have a Ryzen 2000 series CPU.
So until I upgrade my CPU updating the BIOS would actually make my PC run worse than it does now.

Solution
Is it not worth updating it then if it’s already compatible?

That is right. What are you trying to do? Are you upgrading to a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU? If that is the case, then yes you need to update the bios. But if you are just wanting to update the bios just because a bios update is available then dont. Updating the firmware is not like updating Windows. Only do it when you need to.