Question Bios Update Safe and Questions?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
My laptop is a Dell xps 15 9550

Windows 10 Pro
i5-6300hq processor
8gb ram
250gb ssd samsung hard drive. There is also a 32gb mini ssd hard drive that comes along with it? Im not sure how to explain this.

But basically everything i download goes to my samsung ssd. I bought this laptop over 2.5 years ago in late 2016.

I checked my bios and this is what it says

Bios Version/Date Dell Inc. 01.00.07, 11/2/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255

Someone mentioned my bios is from the middles ages and i have to update it. I never did anything with bios. At the moment, i have bitlocker enabled with tpm unlock. And the windows 10 password.

I'm told that first step i need to do is suspend bitlocker. That is all correct? I don't need to disable windows 10 password?

I'm told i need to

1. Suspend bitlocker

2. Download bios

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers

Click view more and scroll to Dell XPS 15 9550 System BIOS. Click on download.

3. Then once download is done, open the program. And let it do its things.

Can others confirm here this is the correct process? Also make sure i have a lot of battery in my laptop and make sure its charged when im doing this? I read that this takes about 5 minutes. But for someone who never did a bios update... could it be longer and if so how long?

When i do open bios and update it, there won't be questions i have to answer right? It will just do its thing? Then once its done... it would then restart and go to my windows 10 password login screen? That way i know that bios is updated correctly?

I want to make sure of this because i read that if there are issues with bios updating... your computer can get screwed. Again I never ever made a bios update ever.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Someone on another forum commented

Unless you are highly confident that a BIOS update will solve some specific issue that you have, you are much better off leaving it alone. Updating would improve nothing and would be disastrous if it goes wrong---your PC might be completely unbootable.

You are voluntarily taking a risk when there is no known benefit. What do you hope to gain? If you can only speculate about the benefits, you've gone down the wrong road.

The thing is my laptop battery always is around 1.5 hours max. But could this bios update fix this? Now if there is a huge risk with this, i don't want to do it.