[SOLVED] Bios Update via FreeDOS

May 6, 2020
I made a freedos bootable USB disk with Rufus , then copied the bios.exe file to it, restarted my pc, opened the boot menu. I finally got to the freeDos command Line. The problem here is, whenever i type the name bios.exe, it returns "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." I tried to change the bios.exe name to make it shorter but unfortunately the same result. According to dell the bios.exe file should be working fine in DOS.
Please help me
I am using Dell studio 1555

Solution
I am running Windows 10 1909.
I extracted R301502.exe which gave me 1555_A13.exe.
I right clicked on 1555_A13.exe and chose Run as Administrator and got this warning:
View: https://imgur.com/qNQe0qB

And after I clicked the OK button I got this:
View: https://imgur.com/rC38UJg

So apparently it does actually run under Windows 10, you just need to figure out why it isn't running on your copy of Win 10.
You might need to install the older Visual C Redistributables or something similar.
Does it really have to be done this way?
Can't you just do it via windows installation?
Sometimes bios updates require a 32-bit system to run themselves.
Not to mention when I was doing things this way, the extension was not an .exe, but different.

May 6, 2020
Thanks for your quick respons guys.
Yeah actually i did that. i ran the R301502 installer on windows. What it actually did was just to copy the actual BIOS Installer (1555_A13.exe) to C://dell//drivers//R301502 including some other parents folders. I even tried to install this very file within windows, but it only gave me an error.
So I took the actual BIOS Installer 1555_A13.exe and add it to my bootable USB disk.
its very frustrating....

May 6, 2020
Yeah I'm running it from a 32-bit OS. I tried it with win7 , then now i installed winXP, again same which says error:

"Dell Computer Flash BIOS Upgrade has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconveniene.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidental and anonymous.
To see what data this error report contains, click here."

|Send Error Report| ------- |Don't Send|

the "CLICK HERE":
Error signature
EventType : BEX P1:1555_A12.exe P2: 2.0.0.0 P3: 4c56b316
P4: 1555_A12.exe P5: 2.0.0.0 P6:4c56b316 P7: 00006c53
P8: c0000409 P9: 00000000

Damn. Not a thing that I've ever seen.
You maybe really have to tell Microsoft
Error signature sounds like the system needs some update(s) or .net framework requirements, but it just sounds like such. I dunno who can guarantee if updates and newer framework versions would really help.
In fact, do u know what exactly do u need the update for?
Recently I installed problematic bios updates twice, but they didn't seem to really improve anything. The laptop one I had to install was without a laptop battery by forcing the system via command prompt to do it, but I don't think this is the issue here.

Reactions: Draker
May 6, 2020
Damn. Not a thing that I've ever seen.
You maybe really have to tell Microsoft
Error signature sounds like the system needs some update(s) or .net framework requirements, but it just sounds like such. I dunno who can guarantee if updates and newer framework versions would really help.
In fact, do u know what exactly do u need the update for?
Recently I installed problematic bios updates twice, but they didn't seem to really improve anything. The laptop one I had to install was without a laptop battery by forcing the system via command prompt to do it, but I don't think this is the issue here.
Ah man yeah it really sucks! i just cant figure out whats going wrong. Tried it now on 2 different winOS.
I checked for win update, but there is no high priority update available.

Okay the purpose of this update is only the last part of the chain:
inicially i bought a new SSD and wanted to upgrade my old pc with it, but my SSD is not even recognised in the BIOS after i connected it. So my idea was to update the bios and see if it then works. I thought this bios update might help.
I tried it with force command prompt as well, but same error.

Yeah I'm running it from a 32-bit OS. I tried it with win7 , then now i installed winXP, again same which says error:
"Dell Computer Flash BIOS Upgrade has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconveniene.
Run it from windows 10. Must run with admin privileges.
Works fine for me. No errors. Just complains, my pc is not Dell and doesn't allow to continue.

Your windows 7 probably is without all the service packs and security updates. That's why, bios update application crashes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Draker

USAFRet

Titan
Okay the purpose of this update is only the last part of the chain:
inicially i bought a new SSD and wanted to upgrade my old pc with it, but my SSD is not even recognised in the BIOS after i connected it. So my idea was to update the bios and see if it then works. I thought this bios update might help.
What specific motherboard, and what specific drive?

May 6, 2020
Works fine for me. No errors. Just complains, my pc is not Dell and doesn't allow to continue.

Your windows 7 probably is without all the service packs and security updates. That's why, bios update application crashes.
thats a really good idea and other options. I'll try the video @
AJNameS
suggested first, then I'll proceed with your suggestion. Thanks!

May 6, 2020

So i've tried it with fresh installed and updated win10. Interestingly something different happens: when i run the .exe the program starts, but after a few seconds shuts down without returning an error notification.
i really don't know if this is an improvement or even worst, since it doesn't tell why it shut down.
Any suggestions?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I am running Windows 10 1909.
I extracted R301502.exe which gave me 1555_A13.exe.
I right clicked on 1555_A13.exe and chose Run as Administrator and got this warning:
View: https://imgur.com/qNQe0qB

And after I clicked the OK button I got this:
View: https://imgur.com/rC38UJg

So apparently it does actually run under Windows 10, you just need to figure out why it isn't running on your copy of Win 10.
You might need to install the older Visual C Redistributables or something similar.

Solution