[SOLVED] BIOS Update

coreyulp

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
So I bought a new computer and got a processor that is not compatible with my mother boards BIOS so the computer does not start so I just bought a new CPU to be able to start my computer and download windows 10 and upgrade the bios and then I will put the CPU that I had in back in. Are there any precautions I need to take to avoid damage? Does it tell me what version of my bios I have and if I have two versions or three versions back so I have to upgrade each version at a time? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I do it right!

PC Specs:
Case: Fractal Design Focus G MID ATX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: ASROCK B450 Pro4
RAM; Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000Mhz
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
SSD: ADATA 128 GB
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Solution
I do have one more concern so when I put in the older generation cpu and update the bios and download windows. Is all I have to do is take it out and put the third gen back in and everything should boot fine?

Once the BIOS has been updated, but before you install Windows, swap out the CPUs.

Also should I do the bios updates after 3.20 as well?

If a BIOS update after version 3.20 resolves an issue you have after you have your system up and running, then yes. Update the BIOS version. If your system is running without issue after version 3.20 is installed, don't bother.

Also with the older gen cpu can I not put the fan in because I will just be using it for a short period of time or will I have to put the fan on...

coreyulp

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
According to the support page, you only need to update to BIOS version 3.20 for the 3rd generation Ryzen processors. There is no need to install all previous BIOS updates prior to this one.

-Wolf sends
I do have one more concern so when I put in the older generation cpu and update the bios and download windows. Is all I have to do is take it out and put the third gen back in and everything should boot fine?

Wolfshadw

Titan

Once the BIOS has been updated, but before you install Windows, swap out the CPUs.

Also should I do the bios updates after 3.20 as well?

If a BIOS update after version 3.20 resolves an issue you have after you have your system up and running, then yes. Update the BIOS version. If your system is running without issue after version 3.20 is installed, don't bother.

Also with the older gen cpu can I not put the fan in because I will just be using it for a short period of time or will I have to put the fan on?

You should always install the CPU cooler if you ever intend to apply power to a CPU. The last thing you want is to have your system shut down while the BIOS is in the process of updating. This is how you brick your motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: coreyulp
Solution

coreyulp

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I do have one more question. When I start up the computer will it go straight to the bios for me to update? Also I have to have the bios update on a flash drive correct?

Wolfshadw

Titan
No, your system will not automatically go into BIOS, there is usually a message during the Power On Self Test (POST) which states to press a key to enter setup. It's also listed in your motherboard manual.

The support page I linked above as well as your motherboard manual details how to upgrade your BIOS and what is needed.

-Wolf sends

coreyulp

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
No, your system will not automatically go into BIOS, there is usually a message during the Power On Self Test (POST) which states to press a key to enter setup. It's also listed in your motherboard manual.

The support page I linked above as well as your motherboard manual details how to upgrade your BIOS and what is needed.

-Wolf sends

Sorry for all the questions but you have been the most help I have had. To update the bios I don’t understand if I can do it through a flash drive or if I am gonna have to go onto the website and do it from there because if I have to do it from the website. I would have to download windows to be able to get to it