[SOLVED] Bios update

Jan 22, 2022
I've heard that it's better to update your bios slowly for example 3-4 versions everytime than going for the latest if you haven't updated it in awhile or at all, cause it could cause problems. Is there any way this is true?

Solution
I've heard that it's better to update your bios slowly for example 3-4 versions everytime than going for the latest if you haven't updated it in awhile or at all, cause it could cause problems. Is there any way this is true?
It depends. Some BIOS updates require specific prerequisites. Version 17 may require a minimum of version 14 to upgrade. If you are on 12, then you HAVE to do 14 first.
The important thing is to READ THE NOTES for each BIOS version. That will give you the required steps. You may be able to jump to latest or you might have to do intermediate. It depends on the current state and your specific motherboard.

kanewolf

Titan
It depends. Some BIOS updates require specific prerequisites. Version 17 may require a minimum of version 14 to upgrade. If you are on 12, then you HAVE to do 14 first.
The important thing is to READ THE NOTES for each BIOS version. That will give you the required steps. You may be able to jump to latest or you might have to do intermediate. It depends on the current state and your specific motherboard.

Reactions: jimbosi
Solution
Jan 22, 2022
I have an asus b350 plus and it doesn't say anything about installing some specific version before going to the latest or some higher. So i suppose i'll go for the latest one.

kanewolf

Titan
I have an asus b350 plus and it doesn't say anything about installing some specific version before going to the latest or some higher. So i suppose i'll go for the latest one.
If your computer is working properly there is no reason to do a BIOS update, just because there is one available. Only do a BIOS update if you have a specific reason, like a CPU swap. BIOS updates can have unexpected consequences.

What is your current BIOS version ?

Jan 22, 2022
If your computer is working properly there is no reason to do a BIOS update, just because there is one available. Only do a BIOS update if you have a specific reason, like a CPU swap. BIOS updates can have unexpected consequences.

What is your current BIOS version ?
Reason is a CPU swap and it's the first time updating my bios since i first got the motherboard back in 2017 and yeah i have no idea what's my current BIOS version cause i don't own that pc for the last 2 years (it's my dad's now)

kanewolf

Titan
Reason is a CPU swap and it's the first time updating my bios since i first got the motherboard back in 2017 and yeah i have no idea what's my current BIOS version cause i don't own that pc for the last 2 years (it's my dad's now)
You need to find out the current version. I saw several notes in the BIOS updates on specific chipset drivers required. As I said, read all the notes.

Jan 22, 2022
You need to find out the current version. I saw several notes in the BIOS updates on specific chipset drivers required. As I said, read all the notes.
yeah i saw that in only one version, ''ASUS strongly recommends that you update AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating BIOS''. updating the chipset is not a big deal tho right?