[SOLVED] BIOS updated now my pc won't boot

Sgt_Smashed

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016
I bought a pc a few months back and it run no problem. Yesterday I noticed that the BIOS need and update, being as the version was 1807 and the latest was 2806 or something like that. So I updated the BIOS and now my pc won't move past the Asus start up screen, the additional issue is I cant access my BIOS. I've swapped my keyboard to a different port, removed everything except the mouse and keyboard, removed the on board battery and let the pc drain. The board is Asus b450 prime plus. I'm extremely frustrated. No amount of button bashing is doing anything, please help!

Solution
lol Idk if he ment the CMOS battery since its the only one on the board
uefi doesnt use battery for cmos data anymore, that used to be on older bioses
on efi, bios settings are stored inside bios firmware directly (nand/nor storage - u can call it flash drive), removing battery will reset your system time, but wont reset your bios settings

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
What? That makes no scence... I guess the only way to fix this would be to roll back to the last update but I dont know how you could do that if you cant get into the bios. I guess all you can do now is physicly modify your system. I would try changing your RAM around or trying different RAM all together, same goes for the cpu and gpu.. Then once it boots you have to change your bios back to the1807 version. But anything could have happened, like an error when installing. I guess the only drive you can forcefully modify is your normal one so maybe try that. My last guess is to keep trying different bios keys like Im pritty sure yours is delete or F2 so go on Asus's website and try different ones? Good luck, this sounds like bs to me Im sure you've just gotten really unlucky

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
uefi doesnt use battery for cmos data anymore, that used to be on older bioses
on efi, bios settings are stored inside bios firmware directly (nand/nor storage - u can call it flash drive), removing battery will reset your system time, but wont reset your bios settings
Ok good to know, thanks. So how does one manually Reset the bios settings?

Ok good to know, thanks. So how does one manually Reset the bios settings?
its done by shorting clr_cmos jumper, that will trigger bios recovery mode which resets nvram
refer to your mainboard manuals for locating clr_cmos jumper, psu has to be powered off , u can press front case power button few times to discharge any remaining charge in your manboard/psu, then u can swirch jumper/short it, 1second short is enough, then switch jumper back (if present) and power pc on

TRENDING THREADS