Question Bios updates (P3.50+) in ASRock B450M-Pro4 using Ryzen 7 1700X

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
The ASRock bios page has the following text for all versions after P3.50:

"*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system."

Although it is not "recommended," what is the actual concern? Will the 1700X still work if the bios is updated?

Lutfij

Titan
Unfortunately ASRock doesn't state the A.G.E.S.A code version(among other things) with regards to their BIOS updates. If you look at other boards, they don't state not flashing the BIOS to a latter version. in fact if you're on A.G.E.S.A v 1.2.0.7, you should have access to all former and current gen processors.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
Unfortunately ASRock doesn't state the A.G.E.S.A code version(among other things) with regards to their BIOS updates. If you look at other boards, they don't state not flashing the BIOS to a latter version. in fact if you're on A.G.E.S.A v 1.2.0.7, you should have access to all former and current gen processors.

The board is on P1.50 / AGESA PinncalePI-AM4 1.0.0.4 at the moment. I am planning on updating to P3.50 to support a used Ryzen 5 3600, but if it does not work out I want to make sure I can go back to using the 1700X I have in there now. Any recommendations or cautions to add?

It is one or the other.
The newer bios does not support the old processor and the old bios does not support the new bios.
Make sure it is a working CPU before you update the bios.
I also think you need to make sure the AMD motherboard/ chipset drivers are updated before flashing bios.
Make sure to clear CMOS before updating bios. And at first boot afterwards. This removes all older bios settings which CAN/MAY cause problems with new bios.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
It is one or the other.
The newer bios does not support the old processor and the old bios does not support the new bios.
Make sure it is a working CPU before you update the bios.
I also think you need to make sure the AMD motherboard/ chipset drivers are updated before flashing bios.
Make sure to clear CMOS before updating bios. And at first boot afterwards. This removes all older bios settings which CAN/MAY cause problems with new bios.

It appears that after P3.50 is the point at which is starts mentioning recommendations against update for Summit Ridge chips. Am I safe with the P3.50 update, then? That is, I should be able to support both the 3600 and the 1700?
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450m Pro4/#BIOS

Sorry, just trying to get clarification between the two responses here.

Last edited:
i was using agesa V1 with firstgen (those not recommended for gen1/gen1+ whrn 3xxx cpus poped up) and had only two CPU related issues, it was USB from CPU was disabled, usb from chipset worked, second one was SATA ports crashed when above 4G was enabled
switching to agesa V2 had more or less few cosmetic bugs, nothing critical
anyway, the point is, gen1/gen1+ are unsupported, they will work, but something hidden might be there and requesting bios bugfix will be on hold for way much longer then with supported CPU

Reactions: bloodedbythought