Question Bios/windows not detecting my Samsung 970 evo nvme M.2 ssd...

Tanksta90

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
Purchased a Samsung 970 evo nvme m.2 and have tried multiple things from changing bios settings to moving the ssd between both m.2 slots (as well as unplugging and replugging to make sure there is a secure fit). I have the ssd sitting in the m.2_2 slot atm and when I plug in the drive and boot up the pc a screen will pop up preventing the boot up that states, "...Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting. An M.2 PCIE device has been detected in the M.2_2 socket. PCIe bandwidth on the M.2_2 socket can be set to X2 or X4, default X2 configuration shares bandwidth with the SATA_56 ports. To improve performance, go to BIOS/Advanced/Onboard Device Config. and switch from X2 to X4. After setting up Intel(R) Optane Memory or the RAID config. was built, SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues...)

My HDD is plugged into the SATA 4 port...
SATA is set to AHCI...

Here is my sys info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1302, 3/15/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product STRIX Z270E GAMING
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17763.529"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB
Page File Space 2.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Tanksta90

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
what other pcie adapter and storage do you have?

Storage: WD Blue 1tb PC hard drive - 7700 rpm class, SATA 6 gb/s, 64 mb cache, 3.5" - WD10EZEX

what do you mean by pcie adapter? Like what is connected to pcie ports?

-gpu gtx 1080ti (slot PCIE_X16/X8_1)
-vive wirelss adapter (slot PCIE_X8_2)

Tanksta90

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
there is 2 m.2 slot, try the other one?

I have tried that and have tried removing and reinstalling the drive to make sure it is a flush fit. On the mother board next to both M.2 slots is says, "PCIE X4, SATA V and IRST V"...when I look at the drive in the slot, I can still see a little bit of the gold metal on the drive that goes into the m.2 slot but the drive won't seat in any further on either slots...

Feb 15, 2019
Your computer supports both SATA and PCIe on the same port, make sure to adjust BIOS settings to use PCIe devices. Also update your BIOS to the latest version.