Bios won't boot from dvd drive

Jul 7, 2018
PSU: Fatality 550w
GPU: MSI TWIN FROZR N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC
MB: MSI MS - 7673 VER 2.0
RAM: 2x 8gb G.SKILL DDR3

Just got a new hard drive and I'm trying to install Windows 10 via a dvd. However I can't get the bios to boot from the dvd. Ive made it first priority to boot from then CD/DVD drive, but every time I start it I get the message "Reboot and select propper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
The boot media is in the dvd drive. It's an 8.5gb dvd with windows 10 on it. I have no idea why this isn't working, thanks for the help.

Solution
Jul 7, 2018
When I press a key I just get the same message again after a short pause. I assume that means it tries to boot but fails...? Would that suggest that the drive is faulty?

From what I recall....the MB will only physically try the drive the first time.
After that....you just get the error.
I'm pretty sure I recall this.

...but LuckyMatt brings up a good point.

Is the DVD bootable? Perhaps not.

I'd try it on a different machine.

It could very well be.
I think the easiest way to know is to see if it boots on another machine.
Hopefully you have access to one.

....and just so you know...if it does boot on another machine....you should be able to exit (you don't have to do the Windows install).

Hopefully it doesn't boot on another machine and the problem is the DVD. I think that would be the easiest/simplest thing.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

Yes, that is the culprit. I don't know what country you're in, as this is more difficult in some places than others, but please go get a real Windows license from a reputable source...best case from Microsoft website.

Even before you get your key, you can download and use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB or CD. I'm not 100% sure of the timeframe, but you can go ahead and install Windows before you get your key...you can "activate" the license later.

Jul 7, 2018

I'm in America and I bought Windows legit form the Microsoft website. Form there I got an ISO that I burned onto a dvd. Despite that it seems the dvd is the problem as it won't boot onto another computer. Guess I did something wrong. I'll try again thanks.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

OK, I thought you had bought a "Windows DVD" from Amazon...

So when you say you "got an ISO", does that mean you used the Media Creation Tool to create your bootable DVD?

The thing about an ISO is that if you just copy the ISO file onto a DVD, that doesn't necessarily make it a "bootable" DVD. That's what the Media Creation Tool does for you.

Solution