Bios won't detect GPU anymore

KingGio

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I was preparing to overclock my i5 3570k to something like 4,5 Ghz.
In preperation I removed my zalman 3 fan aircooler and saw a mess of thermal compound, the previous owner had applied way too much. I cleaned it up, applied new one, and set everything back together.

Now all of a sudden my BIOS doesnt detect my GPU anymore and I am really out of options :(

Specs:
RX480
i5 3570k
700W coolermaster
AsRock Z77 extreme 4
8gb lp corsair ram

What I've already tried is the following:

1. Different PCI-e slots, nothing
2. BIOS to iGPU -> CCleaner and remove drivers -> reboot -> BIOS to PCI-e -> reboot nothing
3. Older drivers, nothing
4. BIOS update (already latest), Nothing...

I'm pretty desperate at this point, can someone help me please?

Kind regards

Gio

Solution

KingGio

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah forgot to mention sorry, fans spin, leds shine, everything is properly connected.

I do have a small idea of what may have caused it, but I'm not familiar with this in any way, so correct me if im wrong.
The PCIE lanes for the x8/x16 slots are provided directly by the CPU. If the slots mysteriously stop working, it could be a CPU-related issue. Maybe I have not cleaned it as good as I thought (had no alcohol 90%+ in da house), and some of it remained on the pins? there went a lil bit of grease on the connector side, but I wiped it as clean as I could with quality q-tips. in the bright lights I did however still saw a little stain.

My plan is to go to the store and buy some alcohol tomorrow and clean it up after. BUT, if this is the case, is damage already done or should it work again after i've cleaned the pin surface?

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

What do you mean some of it remained on the PINS? There was thermal paste on the CPU pins/socket?

KingGio

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Yes it got in the connector part of the cpu, a little hairline of thermal resin, I rubbed it of with a q tip trying not to spread it out but pick it up in a roling motion. Could this be the issue and if so would that mean permanent damage?

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

if you can get it ALL out and straighten any possibly bent pins from cleaning, it will work fine.

Solution