Bios won't run program.exe "cannot be run in DOS mode."

coaX91ox

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hi guys! My windows is 7 x64 SP1. I'm having a problem with running atiflash.exe (for re-flashing gpu bios, cause I flashed it wrong, btw "atiflash.exe " is made for DOS mode and should work, just like in the video I have watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqNP-N38BY&t=2s

But after booting from usb after restart, 1st command "dir" to find files on usb and 2nd to start the program for flashing "atiflash.exe" or "atiflash -i " I get this error "This program cannot run in DOS mode." Also I have tried with win98 bootable usb, made it successfully, on boot I see different dos "Win 98 dos..." typed the same commands, commands worked, but after atiflash.exe I get the sam error "cannot run in dos mode". Please help me, what to do now?

coaX91ox

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

It is zipped, but I unzipped it (just flash.exe, not everything in rar/zip) just like the guy from the video said.
Have no idea what's wrong. :(

if your mb has a bios updater built into the bios all you need is to boot into the bios and with the file on a usb drive update the bios. if the mb is an older one you need to make the usb stick dos bootable first and then run the flash.exe from dos boot disk.

coaX91ox

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I have succeeded! The thing was to use an older version of atiflash.exe provided on this site https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

I used bios.rom that I saved (bios.rom for gpus on that site can also be used for specific cards) before I fu**ed everything up, and I re-flashed gpu bios just like in the video and it was successful, gpu is now working!

If anyone want to know, my gpu is powercolor 6770 1GB, this also works on 5000 and 7000 series as far as I know, there are more methods on youtube if some of you don't succeed with this one.

Thanks everybody! Peace! :)

hudsonhornet202

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hello
HELP me please i installed wrong bios too and i watched this video so i followed everystep but i have an one problem it's on last method : i typed atiflash -f -p 0 bios.rom but i get error it was adapter not found 0FL01