[SOLVED] BIOS won't show newly installed M.2 SSD on boot priority ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2022
Hi,

I'll start this thread by saying that I've spent hours on google and not found a solution for my problem and that this is my first build in 8 years and also my first time encountering such a problem.

I finished my build yesterday and currently have two old sata-connected SSDs on my pc and two m.2 NVMe SSDs (one of the m.2 SSDs is 500gb in size and the other one is 1Tb). The 500Gb m.2 SSD was in my old system with win10 installed on it, no problems there. I had it connected on my system while installing a fresh copy of windows on my new 1Tb m.2. Windows installed fine, I transferred all important documents and music from my two old SSDs and from the 500gb old m.2 to the newly installed 1Tb m.2. What I had in mind was to transfer everything from these three old drives to the new 1Tb m.2 and then format the old drives and sort my music into the old drives (now formatted.)

After transferring the important files to the newly installed 1Tb M.2 SSD, I rebooted my pc and went into the bios. For some reason I used ASUS Secure Erase and not the windows disk utility and formatted all the old drives, both 250gb SSD's and the 500gb m.2 SSD. After the last restart and while entering the BIOS, I notice that the 1Tb drive is not showing up on the boot list and what ever I try, I can not get it to boot. Did I mess up by formatting the old m.2 SSD with windows on it? I read somewhere that they might share some partitions.

This is my first post on any PC forum anywhere, so please be kind.

Thanks in advance!

LDuKmpr.jpg

Solution
OP you might want to restart the windows install, do you have another system you can use to transfer stuff you want to "save" to another location? If you had the RAID BIOS option enabled during the Windows install then who knows what state Windows is going to be in, especially if you played around with the system partition afterwards. In times like these I find it's best to copy off what's important, then have Windows repartition and reinstalled.
OP you might want to restart the windows install, do you have another system you can use to transfer stuff you want to "save" to another location? If you had the RAID BIOS option enabled during the Windows install then who knows what state Windows is going to be in, especially if you played around with the system partition afterwards. In times like these I find it's best to copy off what's important, then have Windows repartition and reinstalled.

Solution
Dec 21, 2022
I'm doing this right now, thanks to all of you for a lot help!!

Dec 21, 2022
No. That's not it.
You executed wrong command.

This - is the correct one. Windows partition has drive letter D: in recovery environment.
You used drive letter C: and got error because of that.

Resulting message should be "Boot files successfully created."
My bad, I posted a wrong picture, here's the second error I got after fixing my typo.

EYZf3p4.jpg

Probably messed something up with those bootrec commands (unnecessary btw).
reformat Y: partition
and redo bcdboot command
diskpart
list disk
select disk 2
(select 931GB disk)
list partition
list volume
(verify windows partition is D: and bootloader partition is Y: . If you rebooted, then drive letters may be different. Y: drive letter may be necessary to assign again.)
select partition 3
(select 500MB bootloader partition)
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=Y
(if bootloader partition has lost drive letter, then assign it)
exit
bcdboot d:\windows /s y: /f UEFI /v

Last message should be "Boot files created successfully".

Reactions: norpba
Status
Not open for further replies.