Bios won't stay open - crashes to black screen

ray_mac

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I'm running a Gigabyte Z170 K1 gamining with the F23 BIOS

I recently installed a Samsung EVO 960 cloned from the old SATA stick

After installing the new drive I noticed the BIOS wasn't "stable" and would crash to a black screen, sometimes after 5s, sometime after 30s

So I reset the BIOS and the problem persists

The machine itself will run through and load Windows no problem but the BIOS environment just isn't stable

Any help appreciated

Thanks

ray_mac

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Thanks for the follow ups

Yes, it's happening with the new drive installed

And yes, my mistake, sorry. According to the manual the mobo model is a GA-Z170-Gaming K3

I did think that maybe the BIOS crashing was caused by some kind of input (mouse or keyboard) but also doing nothing after the BIOS screen shows ends up after a short while (5-30s) with the black screen

The BIOS version I have running is the F23c version found here

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-Gaming-K3-rev-10#support-dl

ray_mac

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
It's likely I used 1.0

I can't tell from the System menu in the BIOS (while it briefly remains open) which revision version installed, all I can see is the F23c version in the BIOS

Are they likely to be that different?

ray_mac

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, I see it now, it's 1.1

So I'll try flashing to the that revision version... if the BIOS stays open long enough to allow me to do that

I'll report back either way

ray_mac

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
OK, battery disconnected for 11 mins - I didn't jump the CMOS

Booted into Windows fine. First on cycle after that gave no "Hit DEL for BIOS" screen splash. Launched into Windows. Next cycle, got into BIOS and after 3s it "crashed"

Before I try... try... to update the 1.1 revision BIOS, any other things I should check for?