Status
Not open for further replies.

pglum

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Toshiba Satellite P775 power LED comes on, fan comes on, but the processor does not start and the bios doesn't appear to load. This appears to be a hardware issue, but could it be bios. This issue happens in spurts. Sometimes I have no issues. I have run chkdsk on hard drive, removed, switched and used one and two RAM chips and have updated a BestBuy Toshiba Bios Flash and ran a repair on the MBR, but the problem continues. I wondered if perhaps it is a battery issue even though the battery has 3 hours of life and will charge properly.

Has anyone encountered this and is there any hope of a repair I can do? The computer is still under warranty, but I hate the idea of sending it in, I'd rather fix it myself than have it come back to me ruined. I have nothing in particular against Toshiba, I don't trust any manufacturer repair.

jsalessi

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

I have an identical Satellite P775 (purchased from Costco 15 months ago) with the identical problem. I have tried removing parts as mentioned and sometimes it will reboot, sometimes not. I read somewhere to hold down the power button for 30 seconds and that worked once but it is not reproducible when I tried it a second time. I read that they are fussy about the drivers and would love to try to update the machine with Toshiba drivers from the toshiba site, if I could get the machine up to do so. I also would like to try flashing the bios. The machine seems to be in sleep mode ever though I have changed the bios and OS settings to tell it not to ever enter sleep mode. Any suggestions or solutions to this thread would be helpful.

troubled

Doesn't sound BIOS related if you were able to flash. Sounds like a faulty component; possibly the board, even. But if all this is occurring when the system should be POSTing, it's most likely - almost assuredly - not software related, in my experience. Try running bench/stress tests on your CPU (like Prime95).

Status
Not open for further replies.