[SOLVED] Biostar Bios has stopped saving Bootup Priority

gamotter

Reputable
Apr 30, 2016
At a loss here. my older Biostar Bios has stopped saving the boot order. Hoping someone has an idea.

Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z97WE (Socket 0)
Bios Version: 4.6.5 - Confirmed this is most recent

So far I have tried all of these things and changing the boot order just does not seem to stick.

1. Changed the battery on the MB
  2. Cleared the CMOS
  3. Reset to Optimized Defaults and saved
  4. Then I've done the below several times.
To change the boot order:
  1. Go into Bios
  2. Go to Boot Window
  3. Go into the Boot Order window. Initially, my SSD is at the bottom of the list, so I move it to the top.
  4. Save Changes. Have tried both F10 and the screen option to save.
Then it resets and it does not save and tries to boot off the wrong drive. I then restart and am able to hit F9 and choose the boot-up device and it starts normally then, but I have to choose the startup device every time.

Some oddities: 1) This all started when I had a USB device stop working a week ago. I unplugged that USB device and that error stopped, but then the boot order changed. 2) It lets me save other items in the BIOS. For example it let me update the time/date after I cleared the CMOS and changed the battery.

What am I missing here? This has worked just fine for 5 years.
Thanks!

Solution
Found the solution on this.

1. Finally unplugged all drives except the SSD. Then started it up and it started correctly.
  2. Then plugged in the secondary drive, and it still started correctly.
  3. Finally plugged in all the other drives and it still started correctly.

Worked it out with support. Sad thing was I'd thought about trying this and just never had.

Hope it helps someone at some point.

gamotter

Reputable
Apr 30, 2016
I'm not familiar with Biostar BIOS', but are you saving a new boot order and not simply selecting a 'one-off' override?
Yes, I am saving. I'm only doing the override after the save does not work. When I go back in after the save and look again, the SSD is back at the bottom of the list, instead of at the top.

gamotter

Reputable
Apr 30, 2016
Found the solution on this.

1. Finally unplugged all drives except the SSD. Then started it up and it started correctly.
  2. Then plugged in the secondary drive, and it still started correctly.
  3. Finally plugged in all the other drives and it still started correctly.

Worked it out with support. Sad thing was I'd thought about trying this and just never had.

Hope it helps someone at some point.

Solution