Craig

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hello...I recently built a system built around the Biostar M7NCD-Ultra
and am having problems getting dual channel going. I'm running a
Barton 2500 at stock speeds (166 bus, although I have also run it at
200fsb, but that speed gives an occasional blue screen). RAM is two
sticks of 512MB PC3200 from Mwave.com (bundled with motherboard). I
have the RAM installed on channel A and B per the instructions, but it
still only operates as single channel. A reviewer on Newegg suggests
installing 1 stick on channel B, installing Windows XP and then
installing a stick onto channel A. This sounds crazy to me...anybody
else have to do this? What have you done to get dual channel working
that maybe I should try?
caheaton@netzero.net

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 23 Sep 2004 08:47:16 -0700, caheaton@netzero.net (Craig)
wrote:

>Hello...I recently built a system built around the Biostar M7NCD-Ultra
>and am having problems getting dual channel going. I'm running a
>Barton 2500 at stock speeds (166 bus, although I have also run it at
>200fsb, but that speed gives an occasional blue screen). RAM is two
>sticks of 512MB PC3200 from Mwave.com (bundled with motherboard). I
>have the RAM installed on channel A and B per the instructions, but it
>still only operates as single channel. A reviewer on Newegg suggests
>installing 1 stick on channel B, installing Windows XP and then
>installing a stick onto channel A. This sounds crazy to me...anybody
>else have to do this? What have you done to get dual channel working
>that maybe I should try?
>caheaton@netzero.net

Leave the middle slot empty and try setting memory
synchronous to FSB, AGP to 4X, and memory timings of
2.5,4,4,11. Extensively test with http://www.memtest86.com
prior to booting OS. You might try different memory
voltages too, keeping in mind that over 2.7V should not be
needed.

In memtest86, you can see the memory throughput at the
beginnning of testing, compare speeds with memory in
different slots... could be a cosmetic bios problem, not
reporting which mode (dual or single) it's in.

Also try updating the BIOS, AFTER you have confirmed
stability gained by whatever means necessary to ensure a
temporary stable system while flashing bios.

Craig

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Guess maybe my concerns were misplaced. I downloaded and tested my
machine with CPU-Z and it reports dual channel operation. PC Wizard
reports dual channel as well. Strange that I don't get any message to that
effect in my post messages.
Craig

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On 23 Sep 2004 08:47:16 -0700, caheaton@netzero.net (Craig)
> wrote:
>
>>Hello...I recently built a system built around the Biostar M7NCD-Ultra
>>and am having problems getting dual channel going. I'm running a
>>Barton 2500 at stock speeds (166 bus, although I have also run it at
>>200fsb, but that speed gives an occasional blue screen). RAM is two
>>sticks of 512MB PC3200 from Mwave.com (bundled with motherboard). I
>>have the RAM installed on channel A and B per the instructions, but it
>>still only operates as single channel. A reviewer on Newegg suggests
>>installing 1 stick on channel B, installing Windows XP and then
>>installing a stick onto channel A. This sounds crazy to me...anybody
>>else have to do this? What have you done to get dual channel working
>>that maybe I should try?
>>caheaton@netzero.net
>
> Leave the middle slot empty and try setting memory
> synchronous to FSB, AGP to 4X, and memory timings of
> 2.5,4,4,11. Extensively test with http://www.memtest86.com
> prior to booting OS. You might try different memory
> voltages too, keeping in mind that over 2.7V should not be
> needed.
>
> In memtest86, you can see the memory throughput at the
> beginnning of testing, compare speeds with memory in
> different slots... could be a cosmetic bios problem, not
> reporting which mode (dual or single) it's in.
>
> Also try updating the BIOS, AFTER you have confirmed
> stability gained by whatever means necessary to ensure a
> temporary stable system while flashing bios.

TRENDING THREADS