Biostar Hi-Fi A88W FM2+ Motherboard Packs Headphone-Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's nice motherboard manufactures try to make on-board audio better, people will still use sound cards or external DACS instead if they want "Hi-Fi audio." I doubt their audio implementations are very good.These days the lines are blurring between motherboards and they have to start come up with distinguishing features.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
As above, it's nice to see actually useful additions being touted by Motherboard manufacturers. Onboard audio is typically utterly piss poor, but most people don't see a sound card as a necessity but there is a large uprising in people wanting clean, crisp sound. Good on Biostar!

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
OK I really want to like their solution but I just can't get the picture of an audiophile going cheap with FM2+ (instead of AM3+ or Intel) and with such huge ATX size... Perhaps someone willing to save on PC components in order to spend more on the speakers?

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
OK I really want to like their solution but I just can't get the picture of an audiophile going cheap with FM2+ (instead of AM3+ or Intel) and with such huge ATX size... Perhaps someone willing to save on PC components in order to spend more on the speakers?
I don't think it's really targeted at true audiophiles as much as it's just supposed to be a selling point. If someone plans to buy a $50 sound card when building their PC and this motherboard is roughly the same price as others that they're looking at then they might buy this and save the $50 or put it toward upgrading other components. I don't think any true audiophile looks at this as a replacement for an external DAC and amplifier.

Duelix

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Aw man, this thing looks sexy. Hopefully the heatsink over the vregs will allow for decent overclocking :D

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
It has more to do with flashy box with Hi Fi on it, than with actual sound.
Quality of integrated audio is really quite terrible, high quality on board audio is a waste of space and money.
(Imagine integrated GTX 780 how much sense does that make ?)
You'd have to pay double, tripple for this feature on motherboard and than again...
having discrete card means you can freely move it between PC builds (mine is in third right now).

Headphone amps range from very simple circuitry to quite robust devices. In truth decent headphone amp would double the price of mother board and it's good for nothing without a real sound card.

What this gives you is more drive for high impedance headphones... in reality if you have those you'd rather plug them to your hifi amp they are intended for. You also most likely sport one of the sound cards out there because you absolutely hated how integrated chip sounds.

IMHO this product is for no one, just a little hook that may catch a fish on 'HiFi' letters and speaker on the box.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I'm not a fan of Biostar MB they were terrible for years. Must be better these days but 10 years ago at fry's we got 4/10 returned defective. ECS was the same. Foxconn had better quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.