Biostar motherboard problems

mickeythug

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Hello there! I'm in deep sh**! Three months ago my old but good motherboard and processor past out. So I took my computer into the computer service. They put new motherboard, processor and memory in it. The MB is Biostar NF61S AM2 SE, processor is AMD Sempron LE-1100 1.91 GHz (not as much crap as it sounds like) and 1GB DDR2 TwinMos PC25300/667MHz. The comp is working fine, I mean I am going to upgrade it with AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+, a new graphic card, probably GeForce 8500gt 512MB, and 1GB more of the same RAM. The problem poped out when I tried to reinstall my Windows XP Professional bootable. I set everything right in BIOS (btw, BIOS is up-to-date) but it just won't boot from a CD. Then I "founded out" that my Pioneer 112D is not recognized in BIOS (and the HDD is set as Slave, not as Master as it should be, I think). Then I looked "under the hood" of my computer and I fouded that the MB contains only one IDE place to "stab" the IDE controler( HDD is in it), The optical drive is pluged into the PCI Sata Host Card in PCI_1 slot. Does anyone know what to do to reinstall my Windows, except getting my computer into the comp. service. And also will it help if I get my HDD to my friend so that he can format it, then to put it back into my comp. will it start automaticaly Windows XP install if the CD is in drive. Please don't hesitate to help!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jintian

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
You say you cannot boot from SATA CD.
One possibility is to borrow an IDE CD drive and put it on the same cable with your IDE hard disk. If your IDE cable only has one connector, you'll also have to get a 2-connector cable - all IDE interfaces can handle 2 drives.
Another possibility - first copy the windows install (i386 folder) to your hard disk, then boot using a floppy DOS image from Win98 and change directory to your hard disk, then execute the winnt.exe program to start the install. You can find bootable floppy images on the web along with a small program to create the floppy.
If you cannot use floppy then you may be able to do the same thing with a bootable USB drive.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If it's an ATA connection then you should be able to put it on the same cable as the hdd, one connector = 2 devices. The data cable should have 2 connections. Set your hdd to Master and change the jumper setting accordingly and then your DVD to Slave. Use the top connector for your hdd.

Matalicmaster

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I had exactly the same problem with my set up, I am running the AMD64 athlon 4400+ on the biostar, and to reinstall windows was a nightmare. My son who is in IT could not fathom it out ether. The problem that I had was Windows would not boot up from my CD Rom it just kept running past my Rom and into the previous Windows set up. Then I sat for half the day and worked it out, you have to set up your bios to read the key board at that stage of the boot up. If you notice when you hit any key to boot from CD it just bypasses the CD. I cannot for the life of me remember on what area of the Bios I found the setting and I am currently on the net but it is there somewhere. If you still have the problem e-mail me and I will go through the settings and tell you how I over came the problem. E-mail drhart@vodamail.co.za

mickeythug

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Thank you all! Is it possible to copy Windows XP install files to USB stick and then start the install from boot? I mean will the comp. boot from flopy?

mickeythug

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
I've got the new IDE Cable and I want to connect IDE HDD and Pioneer 112D. I connect it and what next? I just want to know what to do so that I don't mess something up! Please help! Don't hesitate to help!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Set the jumpers on the hdd to Master and the DVD to Slave. Connect the hdd drive to the top connection of the data cable and the DVD to the 2nd and be sure to plug in the power cord to each, easy to forget, at least for me :??: Go into the BIOS and set the DVD as the first boot device and try to boot the Windows CD. You can download the startup files from Microsoft for XP, I believe it takes 6 floppies. Don't know if you can boot these files off a USB drive, more often than not files designed to boot off a floppy will not work off a USB drive. Suggest you clear the CMOS before doing this, it will set the BIOS to the original default. If may not be necessary but wouldn't hurt

mickeythug

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
I'm not trying to be stubid but how to set up jumpers? Am I doing that in BIOS or physicly on motherboard and how to do it. Like I said I don't want to mess something up! Thanks g-paw. You helped me a lot!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Little piece of plastic vertically covering 2 pins. Usually the various jumper settings are on the drives, if not, you can find them on the mfg online manual