[SOLVED] Biostar RX 580 4GB Original Bios Wanted!Needed!Help!Thanks!

ChaDDa_Melt

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hi guys, hope you guys are good - I bought a Ryzen gaming PC and the guy who sold it to us said it had a Gigabyte version of the RX 580 4GB I double checked and asked a few times before ahead before making a conscious decision on where or it I should buy it. Anyway once the PC arrived, we did some further inspections and guess what? It had a Biostar RX 580 4GB and we confronted the guy who sold us the machine and all he said was an RX 580 is an RX 580 he doesn't care lol anyway he didn't want to refund us within 24 hours. Thermal paste is finished so I can't further inspect the card and put it back together unfortunately however here is an forum from South Africa, which seems to be a similar to my problem. Everything matches in the images provided, it looks like the exact same card but I can't be 100% certain that it is but the link will be provided below for you to look at

Anyway I tried loading the bios which worked fine for the guy in the forum above from TechPowerUp but it is unverified and when I tried to reflash the bios it didn't work when I tried, says that it cannot find the image file

Old Core clocks were 1250mhz but the clocks keep fluctuating up and down - never static even with power limits set on 50%
Memory clocks are 1900mhz static

Atiflash said it had the 8GB bios installed but it doesn't support Uefi in the motherboard bios I had to leave it in CSM mode - With time I found another site where there were more biostar bios recommendations than the first forum which also from South Africa. Where I'm from too. Link below if you wanna have a look

https://carbonite.co.za/index.php?threads/biostar-rx580-4gb-bios-wanted.294502/

I tried all three bios from the above forum and the first one was the only one to worked out. The other two said my parts numbers are mismatched or the image file is missing so now I have this bios loaded with these clocks but the core clocks are still fluctuating but I can now use the PC in Uefi mode or CSM with no problems. Before it would boot loop and then recommend I restart with CSM,

New Core clocks 1340Mhz but still fluctuating up and down its not static even with power limits set at 50%
Memory clocks 1750Mhz static

I believe those unverified bios are still tweaked IMO even though it seems unmodified and seems to be legit I need help looking for the correct one to use and I have no luck but to try here - TIA

Last edited:
Solution
The core clocks are NEVER static. They fluctuate all the time depending the workload, the system they run in, when certain power or thermal thresholds are met.

For example of you have a weak CPU in the system and the GPU can easily output the max fps produced by the CPU, then the GPU will either lower the clock or the usage.
Another example is if the GPU becomes too hot and has to throttle down in order to cool itself.

Generally in all newer gen, GPUs are always balancing their core clock speeds.
The memory clock almost never fluctuates though.

In order to help you we need specific game names and specific performance in those games.

ChaDDa_Melt

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
I am a bit confused. Even if it's a biostar and not a gigabyte RX 580, did you have any problems with it and you tried a different vBIOS? Was it not working BEFORE you messed with the vBIOS?
It worked like some games it did well some games it performed poorly? Had issues with using Uefi in my Msi b350m gaming pro motherboard because GOP couldn't detect the video card. Once I did the bios reflash I could use it and the games that performed poorly actually performed well-ish lol not sure why the core clocks can't stay static at what it's advertised speeds? That's my issue

Reactions: Krotow
The core clocks are NEVER static. They fluctuate all the time depending the workload, the system they run in, when certain power or thermal thresholds are met.

For example of you have a weak CPU in the system and the GPU can easily output the max fps produced by the CPU, then the GPU will either lower the clock or the usage.
Another example is if the GPU becomes too hot and has to throttle down in order to cool itself.

In order to help you we need specific game names and specific performance in those games.

Solution

ChaDDa_Melt

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Seriously? How come when I see benchmarks of these RX 500 series the clocks are always at their advertised speeds. I play games like Fortnite, a bit of Warzone. NFS heat. A bit of GTA V.. also found out single channel is not the greatest for gaming.. especially with Ryzen cpus. Is that true? I'll have to order some dual channel memory for maximum performance. Do you want my system specs too?

Yes, full system specs are needed.

Slow and single channel ram leads to very poor performance for ryzen cpus. You may miss up to 50-60% in specific games.

GTA V, warzone and fortnite are mostly cpu bound games. Especially GTA V. They are also online games which it does also play a role.

Hearing that you have single channel ram I am almost certain that is the issue here. Especially if it's only 8GB.

Run a userbenchmark and post the LINK to the results here.

This is how the ram speed affects ryzen:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azFYdiH9Hns

This is how the single vs dual channel RAM affects performance in Ryzen:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCg7eVN6N9w

Reactions: ChaDDa_Melt

ChaDDa_Melt

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
PSU blew this morning sigh but the PC was off and not running however I heard a loud high pitched noise and then boom.. its some Raidmax 500 XT that he installed in here... I will receive the new one next week by Monday and I will update you on this, if that's okay?
Yes, full system specs are needed.

Slow and single channel ram leads to very poor performance for ryzen cpus. You may miss up to 50-60% in specific games.

GTA V, warzone and fortnite are mostly cpu bound games. Especially GTA V. They are also online games which it does also play a role.

Hearing that you have single channel ram I am almost certain that is the issue here. Especially if it's only 8GB.

Run a userbenchmark and post the LINK to the results here.

This is how the ram speed affects ryzen:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azFYdiH9Hns

This is how the single vs dual channel RAM affects performance in Ryzen:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCg7eVN6N9w

Last edited:

ChaDDa_Melt

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
I hope so, fingers crossed. I think if it was powered on then it would have been a serious problem? Look like the fuse at the back popped? There's a glass piece inside at the back of the psu which seems to be cracked
That is a bit concerning. Sometimes when the PSU fails, can take other hardware with it. Let's hope it didn't affect anything else.

Last edited:

ChaDDa_Melt

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Totally forgot about this, my apologies I hope you doing well man - quick lil update - I am back up and running. The psu did not ruin the PC, plugged in the new psu and the PC still works 100%, no issues. Will be getting dual channel 3200Mhz for my Ryzen 7 1700 as I only have a single 8GB Crutial 2400Mhz atm. Otherwise could you guy's please recommend me a bios you think will work? TIA
That is a bit concerning. Sometimes when the PSU fails, can take other hardware with it. Let's hope it didn't affect anything else.

Last edited:

ChaDDa_Melt

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Why not see how this performs first?

Seems this was a real mess of a PC build. The GPU issue plus the real junk PSU (hopefully you upgrade to something of significantly better quality).
In games like fortnite I get around 144 - 200FPS average with competetive settings DX12 and NFS heat Ultra I get around 50-60+. True he did plus he was over priced from what my friends tell me as the guy kept coming up with excuses after excuses... he didn't wanna give our money back within 24 hours - he was too busy talking to his indian neighbors because of money drama and left us with his 5 year old as if he knew anything about PC's LMAO. Anyway so when we got home to further test the PC after a fresh install of windows 10 pro, we did some minor performance tweaks (no regedit tweaks were involved or anything from Github debloating, just the usual in windows optimizes like disabling game dvr etc) tested the thing it ran fine but as soon as it hit 75 degress it would black screen and the fans will just ramp up to max speeds and the clocks were all over the show - once I installed this bios from TechPowerUp over here - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/206382/206382 - I tried the undervolting technique as it was recommended by Youtuber who does this for a living. I've undervolted the card to 1080vM in the radeon adrenelin software to get it stable and the clocks stayed static as advertised and no there were no more black screens ever since HOWEVER every time I exit Fortnite I get a message saying there was an error and fortnite needs to be verified like this occurs all the time once I'm done playing and when I alt + tab out or go into windowed mode. So this still leads me to think the bios is still not the original bios... I was told to go to onto @Biostars website to find the original bios and no luck, they aren't like powercolor and other major brands when it comes to these things. Warzone I get like 40 FPS at the main screen where you see your operator walking and around 90 FPS in game on the very lowest graphic settings, very, VERY unplayable hence it's at the bottom of the list. I am not sure if it's because of the single channel low speed memory or maybe it's the end for these RX 580 cards and need to find something better like a RX 5700 XT but not now when the mining craze is over

ChaDDa_Melt

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
In games like fortnite I get around 144 - 200FPS average with competetive settings DX12 and NFS heat Ultra I get around 50-60+. True he did plus he was over priced from what my friends tell me as the guy kept coming up with excuses after excuses... he didn't wanna give our money back within 24 hours - he was too busy talking to his indian neighbors because of money drama and left us with his 5 year old as if he knew anything about PC's LMAO. Anyway so when we got home to further test the PC after a fresh install of windows 10 pro, we did some minor performance tweaks (no regedit tweaks were involved or anything from Github debloating, just the usual in windows optimizes like disabling game dvr etc) tested the thing it ran fine but as soon as it hit 75 degress it would black screen and the fans will just ramp up to max speeds and the clocks were all over the show - once I installed this bios from TechPowerUp over here - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/206382/206382 - I tried the undervolting technique as it was recommended by Youtuber who does this for a living. I've undervolted the card to 1080vM in the radeon adrenelin software to get it stable and the clocks stayed static as advertised and no there were no more black screens ever since HOWEVER every time I exit Fortnite I get a message saying there was an error and fortnite needs to be verified like this occurs all the time once I'm done playing and when I alt + tab out or go into windowed mode. So this still leads me to think the bios is still not the original bios... I was told to go to onto @Biostars website to find the original bios and no luck, they aren't like powercolor and other major brands when it comes to these things. Warzone I get like 40 FPS at the main screen where you see your operator walking and around 90 FPS in game on the very lowest graphic settings, very, VERY unplayable hence it's at the bottom of the list. I am not sure if it's because of the single channel low speed memory or maybe it's the end for these RX 580 cards and need to find something better like a RX 5700 XT but not now when the mining craze is over
I can include some pictures if needed