Biostar T series board problems

Ender_2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I built a new system for my wife in November. It was my first time using a Biostar Motherboard and at the time I was impressed with how easy it was to get set up.

Here we are 6 months later, and as of yesterday, it started having issues on boot up. The PCI express card seems to not be recognizeed anymore. On boot up, the cards fan runs up to 100%, but it doesn't do anything else. No error codes or anything.
i removed the card and tried the onboard and it booted up fine on the first try. I tried another model card in the PCI express slot and that also booted up on the first try. Fearing the worse for her Graphics card, I tried it in a different PC, but it worked just fine.

I tried removing and reinstalling different Drivers just to rule that out, but it had no effect. I even went so far as to reformat, thinking that she may have installed something that was causing the issue. Even after a full reformat, I'm still running into the same issue.

Biostar TA790GX 128M
AMD Athalon 7750 Dual Core (2.7GHz)
4GB DDR2 (1066)
Sapphire ATI HD4870 (1gb)

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have to agree that it could be a PSU issue. However, can't make a judgment until we know what type it is and how much power it's rated for.

Ender_2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Its an APEVIA X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BL Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower with plenty of space. Has 2 120mm fans and 2 80mm fans as well. The MB design is annoyingly flawed in that the Master slot is the lower one, which puts the video card only about 3 inches from the bottom of the case, but still allows a bit of airflow. (I've tried it with the case open for testing and it made no difference)

The PS is a 500W, with nothing else but the Video card on that rail. Not sure the exact brand at the moment. It's low, but according to everything I have looked at should be more than enough to power what shes got. for testing, I tried a HD4850 and it worked ok. The power requirements between the two isnt that far off that I know of.

The lights on the card show no issues. 3 green lights.