BioStar TA790GX 128M+RAM Probs

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have a BioStar TA790GX 128M motherboard that came with a Phenom II x3 720 cpu. It says if you have an am2+ processor, you can use 1066 ram. I bought that kind of ram a couple of weeks ago. Well, I stuck them in and it wouldn't boot up, not even to the bios. So I thought I had a bad ram stick, so I took them out one at a time and figured I had found the problem. (bought 4 sticks of 2 gigs a piece). So I sent 2 back in. I got the new pack and stuck them in. It worked for a bit. So I went into the bios and put it to 1066 and it was working ok for a bit. Now it started crashing again. I even put the bios back to optimal defaults and it won't boot with all sticks, just 3. Now, what is it I need to do, if anything, to get all 4 sticks to work? I have 3 in right now. Is the board not able to hold 1066 or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
To run at 1066 those chips you need a voltage that is higher than default typically. There should be a listing on the package or the chips, definitly at the manufacturers website.
Since you know about the bios start with 2 chips set the voltage and then the clock to 533. Add 2 more and see how you do, good luck.