[SOLVED] Biostar TZ77B and RX570 Compatibility Issues?

Jun 24, 2019
In short...Like the title says...Are there any known compatibility issues with the Biostar TZ77B and RX570?

Intel i7 3770
Biostar TZ77B (BIOS Z77DF419.BST)
XFX Radeon RX 570 8GB (RX-570P8DFD6)
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600
Antec 450 Watt PSU
Monitor LG 24MP59HT

Long story...My last build was based on this motherboard. I originally built it with an Intel G630 with plans to upgrade the processor in a year or two. Seven years later I decided to put a i7 3770 in. At this point everything is working well with the old GFX 550 Ti.

After doing some research, I decided to get the RX570 as well as upgrade the PSU and add a SSD drive. The PSU and SSD are on the way...

Anyway, I have the black screen syndrome when I installed the RX570. The computer is booting but no video...not even BIOS splash screen. I have searched for the answer and have tried several different combinations to no avail.

Internal Graphics "Disabled"
Primary Display "PCI"
UEFI Boot "Enabled" and "Disabled"
PCI ROM Priority "EFI Compatible ROM"
Tried both PCIE slots

There is another BIOS (Z77DF823.BST) "Fix USB KB and mouse in BIOS problem ( Beta )"

I spent most of the day messing with this with no joy. So, if anyone has experience with the TZ77B please let me know.

Last edited:
Solution
So...Apparently the monitor needs to to have FreeSync turned on in its menu for the monitor to be recognized when the computer starts. When I first looked at the menu, FreeSync was greyed out. I was thinking that was because the card was not delivering a handshake to the monitor.

Big dummy me saw the "Reset" on the menu and just figured that it would reset the adjustments that were made. Turns out that when I first used the monitor with the onboard graphics (no FreeSync) it blocked that function...and remembered it even after being unplugged. Which is actually a good thing now that I have it set up correctly.

One point of note is that if certain selections are made under "Picture Mode" (like FPS-1) FreeSync will be turned off again...
Use the onboard intel iGPU, and DDU to uninstall the Nvidia driver, then install the rx 570, reinstall the AMD driver. If you still have the same problem, remove the rx570, use onboard iGPU, update the BIOS. And try the rx570 again. Keep in mind, the Antec 450W maybe have problem to handle the rx570 too.

Jun 24, 2019
As stated in the first post...I have a new PSU on the way. Newegg had a deal on the Seasonic Focus Plus SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold for $89.99 minus $18 instant savings and if the rebate works I will get another $25 off. So $46.99 seemed like a good deal. I was thinking that the Antec 450 would be marginal, but should have enough juice to at least get the RX570 to run. Going to wait until I get the Seasonic so I can eliminate the PSU as an issue.

I did use DDU to uninstall the NVidia drivers. But I think the problem is happening before Windows 7 even comes into play...I am not even seeing the BIOS splash screen. After finding out that I corrupted my Win7 when I reinstalled the GTX550Ti I realized that windows was actually booting (shut down mid boot). I switched to using an external drive with dual boot Ubuntu and WinXP.

I did not mention that I am using the HDMI connection. My monitor only has HDMI and D-Sub (VGA) connections. For whatever reason, my DVI adapter will not fit the RX570 so I cannot test to see if that that will make a difference. Also I cannot use the HDMI on the GTX550Ti because the HDMI port is too close to the end of the back plate and there is not enough clearance due to the case design.

Jun 24, 2019
OK...the new power supply arrived today, is installed and running perfectly. Perfectly...that is...with the onboard GPU and the GTX 550Ti. Still no luck with the RX570.

Jun 24, 2019
Thanks for trying to help.

1) If the rx 570 is used one, test it in other pc to see it works or not.
It is a new card. Unfortunately, I do not have another pc to test it on.

2) If the rx570 is new, maybe the MB does not have the right BIOS to recognize the rx570, the BIOS was released on 2012, and the rx570 was released on 2017.
The only other BIOS was released a few months after the one I have...in August 2012. It is listed as a BETA and only states that it fixed issues with using mouse and keyboard in BIOS.

I did find on a forum for the game "Everspace" someone listed the specs as TZ77B and RX580. His issue was in-game so apparently the RX series should work. He did not disclose the BIOS version.

At this point, I wonder if the card does not like the monitor. I just went out and purchased a Display Port to VGA adapter and will try again with my old VGA monitor.

Jun 24, 2019
OK...here's the rub...It booted up just fine with the DisplayPort to VGA adapter connected to the old VGA monitor. The Bios was set to the default settings and I did not even bother removing the NVidia drivers (again). I did go back and run DDU and installed the latest drivers. So there was no trickery involved on the TZ77B side of things.

I now have a dual monitor setup which I would like very much to not have. The LG 24MP59HT monitor is hooked up with the HDMI cable. The LG is AMD FreeSync so one would think the RX570 and monitor would play nicely together.

I will report back after I do some testing. May start a thread in the GPU section of the forum...

Jun 24, 2019
So...Apparently the monitor needs to to have FreeSync turned on in its menu for the monitor to be recognized when the computer starts. When I first looked at the menu, FreeSync was greyed out. I was thinking that was because the card was not delivering a handshake to the monitor.

Big dummy me saw the "Reset" on the menu and just figured that it would reset the adjustments that were made. Turns out that when I first used the monitor with the onboard graphics (no FreeSync) it blocked that function...and remembered it even after being unplugged. Which is actually a good thing now that I have it set up correctly.

One point of note is that if certain selections are made under "Picture Mode" (like FPS-1) FreeSync will be turned off again.

So to sum it up again... the Biostar TZ77B with BIOS Z77DF419.BST works with the RX570 with no adjustments made in the BIOS.

Solution