Biostar's New Motherboard Has Dual Gigabit Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I got no lag issue using my 8.02.11ac dual band card with my WRT1900AC router. My last wow ping was 22ms... Psh... Wires.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I hate that dual gigabit is considered a business feature; I find it incredibly useful for several purposes. It's great if you do any kind of virtualisation, as you can give your virtual machine its own network interface. More useful though is to use the second port for sharing a network connection with another device, such a games console, without having to buy a switch or rely on wireless; I hate having unnecessary peripherals like switches, plus their external power adaptors.

colinstu

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
almost all enthusiast motherboards had dual ethernet for the LONGEST time, only until the past few or so more years has it gone away. (well, started around AM1/2 P4 days)

also. teaming is only feasible if you have a switch that supports 802.1ax or 802.3ad

If you had a dual port NIC on a NAS though, you could connect it directly to your file shares for some quick file transfers without impacting any other network traffic.

2 RAM slots and only 4 Sata3 ports seems like a waste. Seems like a motherboard that cuts corners to get 2 NICs at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.