BioWare: 500 Worlds in SW:TOR by 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all set and ready. I'm ready for the beta invite. I bought the pre-order, and registered it, ready for early access. As long as I'm playing the game within a month of release, I'll be more than happy. I hope I can find some bugs and be helpful. I'm pretty firm in that I decided to go lightside healer. They'll likely always be in need, and I need to feel needed ;-)

Have Tom's readers / editors / writers / forum mods setting up anything? I'd love to find Tom's peoples in-game...

Im getting excited lol... its been years since I felt more than just ho-hum when it comes to new games arriving.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Beta testing started a few months ago. They're doing levels of tests with large updates every month or so with a new wave of people coming in.
As to my response to them having 500 worlds? Those worlds are going to be awfully lonely if they don't ramp this game up...a lot. Not everyone is going to want to play another MMORPG hack and slash grinder to the highest level like all the others out there. Add in some SWG aspects. A REAL space combat game. Buildable houses. Player-fed world economy. PC towns with governor votes... More of the same is boring, bioware! Please understand!!

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
So Bioware thinks that their MMo will still be around in 14 years? That is ballsy considering WoW is only 7 years old and already getting stale :p

G

Way to Run a offcolor comment and joke as an actual headline

^ sounds good. I hope the initial professions is at least tripled. 500 worlds is putting a lot of kilometers on your gear. Where's the mechanics? Logistics personnel? I definitely want a second character that has nothing to do with combat, not a combat class that opts to sit at port, crafting.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Beta Testing has been going on over a year. Last month it entered Closed Beta.

Sadly, you need to do a bit more research on SW:TOR, as it is by far not a hack and slash grinder. I wouldn't mind BioWare trying some SWG aspects a few years from now. I'm sure they could implement it a lot better than SOE did.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I would love territory control objective based mass PvP, where certain planets (at the border of the empire republic) constantly shift based on player actions.

Perhaps a planet can be "owned" by a player organization. Any visiting non-members pay some sort of tax to them. The "ownership" of said planet can be contested at regularly timed intervals involving mass pvp between the two organizations. This is a popular mode used in another mmorpg in respect to dungeons.

link064

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Add in some SWG aspects. A REAL space combat game. Buildable houses. Player-fed world economy. PC towns with governor votes... More of the same is boring, bioware! Please understand!![/citation]

So, your response of "please not more of the same!" is "please add things in from another game!"? That seems a bit backwards. Besides, this isn't a sandbox game. Never has been, never will be. If you want a sandbox game where you can play as Uncle Owen, SWG is still alive for a couple more months.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]So Bioware thinks that their MMo will still be around in 14 years? That is ballsy considering WoW is only 7 years old and already getting stale[/citation]

wow, as far as i can tell isnt story driven, as in its not a kotor like experience when playing, swtor is, from what i read.

everquest is on its 11th or 12th year, and still going strong enough for another new expansion this year, the 14th or 15th i believe.

and wow is in its 7th year, and still has multi millions playing it, while something like everquest peaked at i believe 400000 (that could have just been how many active players were ever on at once though).

but 500 world is retardedly excessive unless there is high quality story for every one. look at everquest, i play on the test server there, there are only i think 10 zones out of 200+ that are used for leveling anymore, and the only zones that get constant use are from the newest expansion with some form the second newest.

as for level progression, swtor will never require all of those unless thy implement a quest based level system like you are capped till you complete XXX, everquest 2 did that, i didnt know that, so i just kept killing the same crap over and over again, and by the time that i realized the quest, i was level 20 (up from level 6) and it killed the game experience for me completely.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]So Bioware thinks that their MMo will still be around in 14 years? That is ballsy considering Lucas Arts will not renew them for that long without theirr first born children as payment[/citation]

There I fixed it. :)

G

EA just wants to entice people into buying pre orders so that they can get as many copies as possible sold before being reviewed or when the competition starts rolling out (GW2, ArcheAge, Rift is already out).

G

It was a joke. Watch the video and you can see they are both joking about this. If they manage this then fine thats great. But don't expect it.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
So... how much is the Deathstar going to cost on EBay? Who will be the lucky one to wipe out the majority of the universe? (Yes I know the deathstar doesn't exist in this time setting)

foblmnator

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
This quote was taken out of context. If you watch the conference, you'll notice they're clearly being facetious in making this claim.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I kinda hope this game doesn't turn out to be amazing/good. Why? Because then I won't give up my life like I did to WoW a few years ago.

Time to ruin another relationship and social life......sigh. lol.

Tijok

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
As stated earlier, this is indeed facetious. I remember thinking when they said this, "This would be ridiculous if someone tried to make news out of this." And now it is here on Tom's.

So for those of you wondering, no, these numbers are not for real, and no, you can't reference them in the future when they don't happen.

Source: I was there, in the hall, listening. With my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.