BioWare Repies to Star Wars: The Old Republic ''WoW Clone'' Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

popatim

Titan
Lets face it, theres very few 'kinds' of mmorpg's; the heavily quest based ones like Wow or the sparse quest free-for-alls like... Legends of Kesmai (?)

Perhaps there is yet unseen content which differentiates it from Wow beyond graphics. I have been thinking on that and beleive I have the answer but don't want to give it away. Blizzard can buy my idea if they want to but it won't be cheap. LoL

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Cowen is a moron and wouldnt know a good game if it jumped up and bit him on the arse. Fact is there will always be things in a game that are WoW-esque but then again if you think WoW is original in many of its concepts you are sadily mistaken. WoW begged, bored, and stole from many of its mmo predaccessors like EQ.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It doesn't look like they responded to the WoW clone comment at all. Either way, I completely agree with the complaints towards the game. It's turning into everything that I feared it would. I had slim hope that Bioware would innovate in some way.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dread_cthulhu[/nom]Bioware "Repies"... Does this mean they threw pies at them? Or do we all get pie!? Cuz that would be awesome... LOL[/citation]

Yes, repies is to apply another layer of pie.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
There are quite different and original kinds of MMO's. Take Eve online and WoW, two COMPLETELY different games with different styles of play, goals, etc. If they focused on making it a unique game in and of itself instead of trying to copy elements that already exist, maybe it'll get more attention.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
This guy would say the same about every FPS since Quake....."well, they are still shooting at each other, so nothing new here." I smell the fear in his comments. This is a MMO based within the lore of Star Wars. The SW fanbase alone will drive this to compete with WoW. I have never played WoW.....I am an FPS online guy. Since this MMO is SW, I am giving it a try.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Makes me feel like I want to come back every time I visit this site because all I see is old news, and everything written by kids who seem that they don't even have a high school diploma.

[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]This guy would say the same about every FPS since Quake....."well, they are still shooting at each other, so nothing new here." I smell the fear in his comments. This is a MMO based within the lore of Star Wars. The SW fanbase alone will drive this to compete with WoW. I have never played WoW.....I am an FPS online guy. Since this MMO is SW, I am giving it a try.[/citation]

Actually, about the Quake comment, I would REALLY hope new FPS'es are more like it, lol. Borderlands was a good approach to a new FPS mix, but it died by its own hand, lol.

Anyway, on the subject at hand: Blizzard is happy about SWTOR, because of a simple reason: Titan is prolly heading into that (same, maybe) gender of Sci-Fi plus another big bag of things. I wouldn't be surprised about it one bit, actually. "We really hope it does well.. -CHA CHING-", rofl.

Cheers!

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Old school MMORPG gamers expect new MMOs to be completely new and revolutionizing, but this was never the aim of Bioware. If a company wants to play it safe, it has to take the road of small incremental improvements, and not try to redefine the genre.

There's such an incredibly large range of things, like crafting, heroic combat, PVP, war zones, end game content – what we call operations, which are basically raids, companion characters, there's all this stuff.

Everything he mentions there, except companions, is already in WoW; but this is alright. Bioware's design focus was to create a polished and solid game similar to WoW, but with a few additions. There's nothing wrong with that, the FPS genre has been doing this small incremental improvements for a long time now, and people don't complain about it as much.

uii

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
They should have tried to do their own thing. If they wanted a SCIFI mmorpg they should have done mass effect.

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]maxiim[/nom]Makes me feel like I want to come back every time I visit this site because all I see is old news, and everything written by kids who seem that they don't even have a high school diploma.[/citation]
Granted, the writing on this site is sometimes incredibly horrid (*cough* Douglas Perry), but if you're going to talk smack about poor writing you might want to work on writing a proper sentence yourself.

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
"Everything he mentions there, except companions, is already in WoW; but this is alright. Bioware's design focus was to create a polished and solid game similar to WoW, but with a few additions. There's nothing wrong with that, the FPS genre has been doing this small incremental improvements for a long time now, and people don't complain about it as much."

And yup EQ has companions in it... Yes WoW is still catching up, since companions will be released by the end of this year...

G

That reply wasn't much of a reply. They did not deny or imply to deny the comments at all. It's not just Cruetz that is saying it, every single E3 report is saying the same thing, the game looks and plays like WoW with a Star Wars skin. Every gameplay video they've released only confirms this. Sadly Bioware, under the direction of EA, played it too safe. The game will still sell like hot cakes, but those of us hoping for a true "Bioware" MMO will have to wait, or may never get one. Make no mistake, this is EA's attempt at cloning WoW and its success.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
oh these days... All it takes to be called a "WOW clone" is you need a game with abilities, level ups, quests, classes, and online players and poof you got a wowclone. have a game with an elf in it and online its suddenly a wow coppy cat.

Its much saying that call of duty and halo are quake clones.

You can't reinvent the wheel, and yet so far the only mmorpg that is not a "wowclone" is eve-online and thats because its pure pvp combat and sandbox style customizations. There's no "classes" or "one role to play" and every ship (character) is customizable to either be dps, tank, healing, or utility without re-rolling.

Haven't played city of heroes, or matrix online or anything of that sort so can't comment....

I just hope bioware focuses on whats considered long term gameplay, lore cannonization, defining what's endgame and not just "level cap pwnage", and how to appeal to the occasional farmer, pvper, 1 hour a day player as well as hardcore 8 hours a day grindage uber pwnage.

P.S.
most importantly making the game balanced. Not uber faceroll mages, constant tweaking of 5%, 10%, 7% 15% 2% with added effect against pvp targets only for abilities every single content patch. or re-structuring classes, re-mapping entire classes, re-working talent trees, breaking, fixing, breaking fixing, making live your beta-test, and most importantly having 90% of the server being 1 particular class (jedi) because they are so OP and refuse to balance out the other classes.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree uten, and I think a lot more people are like that to which is a shame. But that's what happens when you get mass people to flock to one game because they made it so easy, and anything could run it. More people more idiots.

O I know lets just make it where nobody can solo anything unless you're one specific class which is known to be overpowered.. Then we can say it's a clone of something else.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Who care wow is for pussy and all clone are fail. Anyways Titan incoming suppose to replace wow, hope its more interesting and no repetition of instance, gear overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.