BioWare's New Mystery Game Is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They need to stop being lazy and release mass effect 3 already. I have played through all of the mass effect 2 expansions and now I am suffering from mass effect withdrawal.

I need some mass effect 3 now please.

If the the game that is being released is not mass effect 3 then they need to stop what ever they are doing and release mass effect 3

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Ah yes finally! Man I had so much fun with ME2 that I held off on going through the relay until I had every single other quest done. Seriously that dang relay was waiting for like 2 months. XD

AMW1011

Distinguished
What?! THERES GOING TO BE A THIRD GAME IN THE TRILOGY!? You don't say. I sure am surprised.

I was assuming it would be a different story line in the Mass Effect universe following different characters. I was actually pretty excited for this, since the Mass Effect universe is so expansive. We still don't know for sure though.

Then again, I wouldn't be saddened by an early ME3 at all.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]They need to stop being lazy and release mass effect 3 already. I have played through all of the mass effect 2 expansions and now I am suffering from mass effect withdrawal.I need some mass effect 3 now please.Th the game being released is not mass effect 3 then they need to stop what ever they are doing and release mass effect 3[/citation]

Lazy? Excuse me? Half Life 2 took six years and Starcraft 2 took ten. Both of which turned out to be fantastic games. Simmer the fuck down and wait. Rushed games are never good.

maliusmaximus

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I think it's too early for ME3. If they release it in the first quarter of 2011 then I fear it may only be half baked. Unless they're freaks of nature like Infinity Ward they'll need most of 2011 to make the game truly awesome. I'm hoping this game is "just" a spin-off to keep us junkies hooked, so when ME3 comes out it gives the series the ending it deserves

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Lazy? Excuse me? Half Life 2 took six years and Starcraft 2 took ten. Both of which turned out to be fantastic games. Simmer the fuck down and wait. Rushed games are never good.[/citation]

While I will agree that about a year is really on the short side for another game and makes me wonder what it will be like. (maybe half of it will be released after like with DA: O)

But those two lengths are nearly Duke Nukem Forever in comparison. At least in Duke's case they were doing something with it for that long, (even if none of it comes/came to fruition) I doubt if either of those two games were actually in development that long. Especially starcraft.

That's like saying the time between Half-life Ep2 and EP3/HL3 will make it super awesome. Too bad they were too busy making the L4D games and a bunch of DLC's for them, and also Portal 2.

Or any other game that spends years and years in development and yet is like 5 hours long.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I tried playing the original Mass Effect, but I just never really got into it. Some people love the huge open-world RPG type of games, but it just never did it for me.

maliusmaximus

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]While I will agree that about a year is really on the short side for another game and makes me wonder what it will be like. (maybe half of it will be released after like with DA: O)But those two lengths are nearly Duke Nukem Forever in comparison. At least in Duke's case they were doing something with it for that long, (even if none of it comes/came to fruition) I doubt if either of those two games were actually in development that long. Especially starcraft.That's like saying the time between Half-life Ep2 and EP3/HL3 will make it super awesome. Too bad they were too busy making the L4D games and a bunch of DLC's for them, and also Portal 2.Or any other game that spends years and years in development and yet is like 5 hours long.[/citation]

True, I'm assuming though that they are working hard at it. Bioware are an excellent group and I don't think they'd let one of their biggest titles fade into the sunset. I'm just saying for such a vast and multi faceted series like ME, you really need at least two years to truly develop all of your resources. With only 1 year of development I don't see how any company could make such an epic and multi-dimensional game.

G

I agree with maliusmaximus on the develoment time frame for an epic game. There's always a standard, but more importantly, does the softcore, hardcore, and casual gamer alike really want another Mass Effect game so soon after the second?

Keep in mind that ME: 2 just came out this what April? As a big fan of the series I wouldn't mind waiting a year or more for the next installment. It's not like there aren't other really good games out right now. I just don't want the sequel to be anything less than its prequels.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]While I will agree that about a year is really on the short side for another game and makes me wonder what it will be like. (maybe half of it will be released after like with DA: O)But those two lengths are nearly Duke Nukem Forever in comparison. At least in Duke's case they were doing something with it for that long, (even if none of it comes/came to fruition) I doubt if either of those two games were actually in development that long. Especially starcraft.That's like saying the time between Half-life Ep2 and EP3/HL3 will make it super awesome. Too bad they were too busy making the L4D games and a bunch of DLC's for them, and also Portal 2.Or any other game that spends years and years in development and yet is like 5 hours long.[/citation]
Valve has multiple development teams, they call them cabals. L4D didn't affect Half-Life, at least not directly. Obviously it advanced the technology, which might have delayed Ep3, but I'm sure Ep3 will be a better game because of it.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Lazy? Excuse me? Half Life 2 took six years and Starcraft 2 took ten. Both of which turned out to be fantastic games. Simmer the fuck down and wait. Rushed games are never good.[/citation]

Starcraft 2 a good game??? After 10 years, the gameplay remains basically the same (and they don't even bother to create another race) + ripping off customers with no LAN play and 3 Episodes (so they can screw you 3 times over). Mass Effect 2 was way better and it didn't need 10 years. It's not like they are doing Starcraft 2 for 10 years non-stop OT everyday, they just ran out of ideas and don't know what to do with it.

G

clearly they had a different dev team working on the second game while the original team is working on the 3rd within bioware, Similar to what ubisoft did with splintercell. cmon people do ur research!

maliusmaximus

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
[citation][nom]ginormous[/nom]clearly they had a different dev team working on the second game while the original team is working on the 3rd within bioware, Similar to what ubisoft did with splintercell. cmon people do ur research![/citation]
That's only slightly true. Of course it's standard practice with series games to get work underway on the sequel in parallel with the current release, but there is a limit to how much you can develop. For example the graphic artists bring their own unique look to a game; changing artists for DLC would change the feel. They would be slowly transitioning people from the ME2 to the ME3 team as necessary, and the ME3 team would only have become full strength this year (if they are indeed finished with ME2 content and assuming that the latest and future DLC will be handled by another dev team). That's why I don't think they would be able to create an equally spectacular ME3 within a year of ME2 being released

wowohwow

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Well said.

acabrino

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

See Crap of the Lich King.

deecrutch

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2005
TAKE YOUR TIME, Bioware. I want ME3 as much as ANYONE, but I want it done RIGHT more than I want it done FAST.

Take your time and do it right.

What was the time span from ME to ME2? I think they added some nice ideas into ME2 from ME and it turned out very nice. But they did it in like 3 years? (nov 2007 -> jan 2010)

Now they got the engine polished, the universe of ME pretty much covered (DLC's and such) and history wise, we all know were this is going (not gonna give spoilers, lol).

Bioware, take your time and don't screw this up.

Cheers!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
no... now mass effect 3 yet >_< my system sometimes freezes playing the origional i need to upgrade just to play the 2nd i'd be way behind if they released a third >_< on the other hand good excuse to upgrade to the wife..... bring on mass effect 3 !

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
[nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Starcraft 2 a good game??? After 10 years, the gameplay remains basically the same (and they don't even bother to create another race) + ripping off customers with no LAN play and 3 Episodes (so they can screw you 3 times over).

I can agree with you about the lack of LAN, but the campaign was amazing. What is so wrong with the "three" episodes? Starcraft 2 had as many missions as Starcraft 1 and each campaign mission was all unique in their own way and didn't feel like the "build 100 units, you win" scenarios from Starcraft 1.

Would you have been satisfied if they just made 8 missions for each race in Starcraft 2 like the first game? I seriously doubt it.

Though I could be in the minority and loved all the lore they shoved into Starcraft 2.

On topic now, I really can't wait to see what this game is... I really just hope it is Mass Effect 3 as I would love to see what happens next in the story but it would be a financial sucess for BioWare/EA to make a multiplayer Mass Effect... I'm sure it would make a killing.

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I don't think it's ME3. Bioware always use male Shepard with standard face for all their promotion. That guy in the video is clearly not Shepard. I'm guessing spin-off game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS