[SOLVED] Bit Defender installer refusing to work

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Good afternoon.

After a day and half of hassles, I believe I've managed to remove System Mechanic from Iolo from my system. Never again.

Issues started with BitDefender consuming a 100% CPU resources, a common event that the have yet to fully address. A recommendation was to uninstall then re-install. Except that Bit Defender refused to re-install due to the presence of System Mechanic. System Mechanic, in turn, was found in multiple folders, making the cleaning process rather laborious. It required the iobit uninstaller and even then, still there were difficulties.

Now, BitDefender installer will start up, you hit the run button, and....nothing. Completely stopped. I've contacted their support, but no help as of yet. Utilizing Windows Defender and Kaspersky as back-up AV till I can get things corrected. Seriously considering not going back to BitDefender, system is so much more faster without it. Unfortunately, it's paid up for.

My question is just one: Is there anyway to get the BitDefender installer up and running again? Thank you.

Solution
its possible system mechanic changed settings to not let you install Bit defender. Have you tried installing it in a clean boot?
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. Possible something still in start up programs interfering

iobit programs seem to cause problems

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible system mechanic changed settings to not let you install Bit defender. Have you tried installing it in a clean boot?
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. Possible something still in start up programs interfering

iobit programs seem to cause problems

Solution

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Thank you. I suspected as much, with companies trying to keep each other blocked from working. System mechanic blocks BitDefender, Bit Defender wants system mechanic removed. And they both loused up my system.

Great idea with the clean boot! Thank you. I'll try implementing that. Bit Defender support hasn't been much help in two days.

I read that about iobit, but then again, the same with other uninstallers. And unfortunately, system mechanic fought every step of the way to refuse removal.

Thank you, Colif. I'll let you know later on how it went.