Bit of a paranoid question, is it possible to install your OS on a non-formatted SSD/HDD?

Iamaborat

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Silly question but since I'm not really an expert I guess I should ask. Can you put your OS on a non-formatted SSD? Reason I ask is because I'm not really sure where I put my OS, if it was on my HDD or my SSD and I'm nervous about formatting the SSD because if I do, everything gets deleted, as in my OS (if it's on there...) and if my OS gets deleted I'm guessing Windows won't start up and I'd have to go through the headache of figuring out how to bring it back up. Am I being paranoid? Is it even possible to put an OS on a drive that isn't formatted?

Solution
You have two disks, HDD and SSD
you installed windows on SSD but are afraid if parts of it require HDD to work. (boot sector might be there or something)

Easy way to test is.. turn computer off, open case, unplug HDD's sata cable, turn computer on, if it boots.. HDD is not necessary for windows operation, you can format it if you want.
if it doesn't boot, it is required.
You can also try this the other way around, unplugging the ssd.

Installer usually formats unformatted drive if you install on it. If you install on a drive that is already formatted and has partitions, windows doesn't do format.
if old windows installation is detected, installer usually copies old stuff to c:\windows.old folder.

kanewolf

Titan
The most foolproof way to install an OS is to have ONLY the disk you want the OS installed on connected when you do the install. Recommended procedure, OS install, motherboard drivers, OS update. Power off, connect any additional drives and install non-OS software.

Iamaborat

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Yes, unfortunately this was a while ago and with limited knowledge I'm pretty sure I had both hdd and sdd connected, but it gave me an option of which I want to put my OS on. Since then haven't been able to use my sdd to its full potential due to fear of deleting my OS if I format my SDD. So is it possible that I put my OS on a drive that isn't even formatted? Everything runs fine it's just I'd like to format my SDD so I can actually use it, but am not sure if my OS is on it.

You have two disks, HDD and SSD
you installed windows on SSD but are afraid if parts of it require HDD to work. (boot sector might be there or something)

Easy way to test is.. turn computer off, open case, unplug HDD's sata cable, turn computer on, if it boots.. HDD is not necessary for windows operation, you can format it if you want.
if it doesn't boot, it is required.
You can also try this the other way around, unplugging the ssd.

Installer usually formats unformatted drive if you install on it. If you install on a drive that is already formatted and has partitions, windows doesn't do format.
if old windows installation is detected, installer usually copies old stuff to c:\windows.old folder.

Solution