News Bitcoin Mining Corp Buys $30 Million Of Nvidia CMP GPUs

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Next time Nvidia mentions "Gamer" as their target remember this.
As gamers we cannot pre-order cards, retailers cannot pre-order cards and price depends on the distributor initial price, after that everyone claims their share.

Let them have their fun and hope AMD and Intel bring something to the table that gives us gamers value again.

Co BIY

Splendid
With that kind of capital I think founding a brand-new crypto currency would be a better strategy. There is no reason to think that a new "coin" will be less competitive than an old one. What is the advantage of a legacy "coin" over any new one.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
All I read from this news piece is that $30mil worth of potential GPU for gamers are now going exclusively to one mining farm, because these cards only mine.

F U nvidia! You don't care about gamers, so stop lying!

At least if they were gaming GPUs, they would eventually find their way into the used market for gamers...

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
Nvidia selling $30 million of CMPs means $30 million of GPUs are being produced or reduced? These days you never know right?

yvdrhaeg

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
Crypto mining is an ecological disaster, and completely unethical: the carbon footprint is the same as all the datacenters in the world combined (see https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bitcoin-carbon-footprint-is-skyrocketing-along-with-its-price/ ). The whole idea of cryptocurrencies is based on the 'proof of work' or similar concepts, and these usually have a large carbon foorprint. (side note: I'm not even talking about the actual uses of cryptocurrencies let's not go there!).

I think we as citizens have a moral obligation to minimize our carbon footprint where possible and feasible (without stopping to live obviously).
Companies should maybe do the same?
So the questions begs, should companies be involved in cryptomining, willingly or 'unwillingly'? And more to the point: should we support, work with or buy from companies who do so?
I definitively will think hard about this when buying new graphic cards, I can only urge everybody else to do so too ...

Reactions: sstanic and VforV

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
These guys aren't selling their cards, they are in it for the long haul as a large corporation. They aren't some guy at home that built a mining rack.
You have confused the demographic.

For anyone who said that miners wouldn't be interested in these cards because they had no resale value...

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
Crypto mining is an ecological disaster, and completely unethical: the carbon footprint is the same as all the datacenters in the world combined (see https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bitcoin-carbon-footprint-is-skyrocketing-along-with-its-price/ ). The whole idea of cryptocurrencies is based on the 'proof of work' or similar concepts, and these usually have a large carbon foorprint. (side note: I'm not even talking about the actual uses of cryptocurrencies let's not go there!).

I think we as citizens have a moral obligation to minimize our carbon footprint where possible and feasible (without stopping to live obviously).
Companies should maybe do the same?
So the questions begs, should companies be involved in cryptomining, willingly or 'unwillingly'? And more to the point: should we support, work with or buy from companies who do so?
I definitively will think hard about this when buying new graphic cards, I can only urge everybody else to do so too ...

Clearly Nvidia needs to incorporate a check in their drivers to verify that a 'renewable energy source' is being used to power the card before enabling crypto mining.

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
I read something about ASIC not being efficient enough because when they were being developed the mining died. Also most of the components they need are also out of reach.

iirc, ASICs are good for BC mining, but Etherium (and other cryptos?) was designed specifically so mining could not be optimized for ASICs.

Reactions: Phaaze88

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Not really sure bitcoin miners breaking the market is new. They are pretty much the sole reason there's a shortage of chips.

I know that some miners have 12 and more gpu chips in one machine. And they sell 100's of thousands of those machines.

Right now the ROI/month on top of the line Antminers is around $400/miner/month and thats after subtracting costs to electricity and paying back the miner.

It's like printing money. Get your hands on a couple of those and you've given yourself a substantial raise compared to your normal income. Assuming you're a mere mortal.

Regarding how it affects graphics card sales... it's pretty much the entire reason were in the situation we are stockwise.

why do mining farms buy GPUs when ASIC are so much faster? is it the price to performance ratio?
ASIC/graphics card depends on the currency you mine. GPU also has a larger resale value so it's a smaller risk.

Last edited: