Bitdefender: GoldenEye Ransomware Campaign Spreads Throughout Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamahahornist

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
What? "bid farewell to that particular computer"; I forgot that once the hard drive goes down the entire computer hardware magically stops working forever. That is horrible misleading information. If you get effected by a randsomeware attack, just reformat the drive and your good to go or even purchase a new hard drive. I thought this was a tech site? The last thing I would want is some naive person tossing out there $600 computer due to bad information.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Also the email provider the group was using has blocked their account. So if you are infected you options are lose the data or wait and hope for a decryptor.

shiitaki

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Actually, it is possible to write to the firmware on the motherboard, so it is impossible to ever be sure that an infected computer is clean. For that matter, as shown by Lenovo's behavior, can you ever be sure? The answer is no.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
You should understand your needs on your PC dont reflect necessarily the rest. Many proffesionals see their work PC as a machine that will never die. Many of them wont listen to their IT on backup schedules etc.
There are also many programs still used on xp and companies that dont understand the need of virtualization..
If you get cryptlocked and you have backups..yeap easy stuff..but if you dont..QQ

Damn. Think of all the computers I could have saved instead of just tossing them. :)

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
"They should fine the people who pay the ransom."

What they should do is find out which particular group and make them disappear, forever. If it's a country, expose them as the culprit.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Wake up call: $300 to decrypt vs $100 to back up your computer before any bad stuff happens. For $300 you could back up your computer to several devices and place in several locations. For $15 you could get a 32 GB USB Drive and backup almost all the files that you hold dear.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
A low level disk format may be necessary to recover the drive. I doubt that the ransomware rewrote the motherboard firmware, the computer hardware should be fine.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
FYI this "Ransomeware" nah... This "pyriteware" deletes the decryption key so it doesn't matter if they paid and the operators had email, the files are gone. This is why they tell you to never pay the ransom.

Status
Not open for further replies.